 General / 32670
Re: Emergency! Everyone, please read this.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:34:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Gerber writes:

ICANN/INTERNIC offers no recourse or aid for problems. The info for working
within the system for "cybersquatting" type problems is here:
http://www.icann.org/udrp/

I followed that link and found that there are currently 4 organisations
offering name resolution dispute. Let us posit that this would be an open
and shut case... with no other expenses than the fee to the organization.
The cheapest fee offered, for the simplest dispute is.... 950 USD. (it
varies by organization) I did not see any provision for charging the fee
back to the cybersquatter, so you eat all of it. Therefore they basically
ARE offering you a discount... 550 extortion is less than 950 legal.

Nice. They no doubt are counting on most people doing the math and paying
them the lesser sum instead of paying more to deny them any funds at all.
That's why they said they will cheerfully ignore any offers for less than 550.

The final say here, though, is of course Todds'. Since we don't know why he
allowed the domain to lapse (and he MUST have gotten multiple warnings that
is was going to expire), it'll be his call if he wants to salvage the
domain, trademark or not. I'm sure he has lots of other things on his plate
right now...ya' know?

I am just wondering why Todd didn't ask someone else to pay the fee if he
was strapped. I just don't get it, really. Todd of course is free to do
anything he wishes but this strikes me as weird. How is it good for the
community to have this happen? I know I would have paid the fee in an
instant without even a second thought. Even if it wasn't hosted, better to
have a broken URL than a pornsite link.

This just seems weird weird weird. Think back... Suzanne rescued a domain
that LEGO had let lapse! Now this. I don't get it. But I said that already.

To the community, are there any other domains with anywhere close to the
linkage potential that are at risk? If so we should take action before it's
too late.

++Lar