 General / 32666
Re: Emergency! Everyone, please read this.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:22:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Can this be done? I thought Todd owned the TM for "Fibblesnork"?

Good thought Scott...

I looked at the site for the person(s) offering fibblesnork.com for
sale...here is what they claim:

"Our Policy: It is the policy of NameRegister.com to respect the legal
rights of others. Unfortunately due to the
volume of domains available through NameRegister makes it impossible to find
out whether any particular
domain offered for sale resembles a registered trademark or service mark.
We advise buyers to conduct such investigations as maybe appropriate in
their circumstances.

NameRegsiter.com obeys all applicable laws regarding the registration and
use of domain names.
We also adhere to the policies established by ICANN for domain name
registrations."

Basically, they are spewing BS...they DO have some culpability here...though
none of the sites they have mapped the domain to are called "fibblesnork",
they ARE sullying the name by pointing the domain to those sites...but, as
usual, how do you enforce the nameless Internet?

Not surprisingly, there is no WHOIS information available for
www.nameregister.com...it's a blank front. No company called "NameRegister"
is on ICANN's list of accreditied domain registrars.

Unfortunately, many small registrars are offering co-branded, referral or
reseller programs, so the site is basically just a front for some porn sites
to make some more cash.

ICANN/INTERNIC offers no recourse or aid for problems. The info for working
within the system for "cybersquatting" type problems is here:
http://www.icann.org/udrp/

The final say here, though, is of course Todds'. Since we don't know why he
allowed the domain to lapse (and he MUST have gotten multiple warnings that
is was going to expire), it'll be his call if he wants to salvage the
domain, trademark or not. I'm sure he has lots of other things on his plate
right now...ya' know?

Matt