 General / 32673
Re: Emergency! Everyone, please read this.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:44:04 GMT

It's kind of extortion to pay the 550 though, isn't it? I mean, Todd let it
lapse for whatever reason, it is true. Would we be encouraging this sort of
thing by paying? (the person who snagged it was no doubt within their rights
but it's still not the sort of behaviour I care to reward)

You make a very good and valid point.  I certainly do not condone how this
was done, nor do I want to encourage it, but at the moment there are lots of
fibblesnork links on pages and sites across the internet (both forgotten and
not) that now have a link to a site with adult content (giving a whole new
meaning to a 1 x 8 stud).  We all know that LEGO is enjoyed by both kids and
adults alike, and I am concerned that many people are going to have a very
rude awakening to the fact that their link is now fouled.

At this point, I look at a "community purchase" of the site as a form of
damage control.  We have a chance to grab up what was a very useful site to
LEGO enthusiasts, and make it so once again.  It may encourage and reinforce
this type of internet opportunist behavior at the moment, but if we take
this as a lesson learned to be more aggressive in protecting our domain
names, we can keep it from happening again.

Also, I am not one to deny anyone of their adult sites on the internet, but
as I stated above, many kids will be clicking on the fibblesnork links as
they may have done before, on sites that parents may have rightfully deemed
"safe," only this time the results will be different.  That is a bit
disturbing, and I feel that taking the domain name back will prevent any
further problems.

Humbly,

Ken Wright

PS - I am glad to see that members of the Lovelace family have taken an
active interest in this topic.  The fact that I understood that name
reference in another post on this thread is a sign of my age. Ugh... now
where did I put my brick separator?  :P