 Events / 945
Re: West Coast Brick Fest - concerns and hopes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:21:11 GMT

In lugnet.events, Eric Sophie wrote:
It makes alot of sense to have an event at each of the four corners of the
USA. The arrangment we had was perfect. VA, CA, WA. I want the Upper East
Coast to have one too in time. Having one event in each season and corner of
the US.

     Hey, why stop there?  Seriously.  Compare the sizes of the US and Europe.
How many brick events does Europe have compared to the US?  Why don't we have
more?  Why just the four corners of the US?  Milwaukee, Chicago, or Indianapolis
would be great places to start an event for the Eastern Central US, and I'm sure
there's someplace east of the Rockies that would be a great place for a Western
Central US event.  I have a feeling that the more FOL Cons there are around the
country, the more this whole experience will start to seep into the public
awareness, and the more self-sustaining they'll end up being.  They don't all
have to be mega-huge Cons with full-field attendance, and not every area would
be able to support a huge Con (heck, the primary reason why GenCon moved is
because it outgrew Milwaukee).  Also, the more Cons there are to inspire new
blood, the more people there will be who can help organize them or set up
displays (which I'm sure was a big concern with the creation of BW).  If done
properly, twenty years from now noone should have any reason to balk at the idea
of setting up a second or even third Con in the same State, as long as they're
spaced out a bit through the year.