 Events / 935
Re: East West Coast, Southern and NW Brick Fest Cons - concerns and hopes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:18:28 GMT

In lugnet.events, Frank Filz wrote:
"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

In lugnet.events, Eric Sophie wrote:
It makes alot of sense to have an event at each of the four corners of the USA.
The arrangment we had was perfect. VA, CA, WA. I want the Upper East Coast to
have one too in time. Having one event in each season and corner of the US.

This would mean one fest in each of the Four Seasons. One fest at each of the
four corners of the US. Cool Idea I hope.

Eric,

What corner of the U.S. is VA in?

Hmm, looking at my trusty map, and considering the NE corner of the US
as Boston and the SE corner as Orlando (taking places that have known
centers of AFOLdom), then DC is closer to the NE corner. Let's see how
the quarters of the year stack out, assuming BW was to continue:

Jan-Mar: BricksWest, SW corner
Apr-Jun: available
Jul-Sep: BrickFest, NE corner
Oct-Dec: NW Brick Con, NW corner

Therefor, Orlando should organize a brick con in April, May, or June.
YUCK! A more ideal schedule would be:

Jan-Mar: SW corner (continue BricksWest)
Apr-Jun: NE corner (push BrickFest back into June where it started)
Jul-Sep: NW corner (pull NW Brick Con back into September)
Oct-Dec: SE corner (start a new brick con in Orlando)

Frank

Hey ya, that's the idea! Assuming we could ever get there, beacuse in the years
to come it would be a great thing. But no so much as to...and I quote what was
so well put before, " We don't want to risk insignifigance through Dillusion..."
This way we grow to include a 4 or 5 Star prong approach and with cooperation
from the other Fests Management Teams to slightly adjust their time tables we
could (hope) to grow to have a Fest every Season at the 5 points of the US. (I
gotta choose a better term) however, I'm just saying the four corners of the US
and the Seasons match up. Heck if you were to Road Gig it, you could always be
where it is Warm! LOL!

Also, and,  I feel comfortable saying this, this idea of a Fest in Easry Season,
one each of the Four corners of the USA, is something that I have had
conversations about with our friends at Lego. If we get organized to that point,
they will certainly at least listen, although I'm sure they themselves will act
when the time is right, so as either coincide with our growth or to spur us on.
It is all our choices.

The 1/4 of the year event, in and about the NYC area, offers a chance for the
Lego Company as well, because of the close proximity to their offices in Enfield
and possibly NYC (if they stay there long term) to show off world show type
venues like the Zwolle World Show that TLC would like to eventually have here in
the USA somewhere. TLC could also show off their new lines in a huge Expo, big
time stuff!

This is where groups on the East Coast could come together to run a Fan
Convention. NELUG, RTL, LUCNY, GardenSLUG, FLL, Lego Gamming, yay!, The Lego
Mecha Hall of Fame! (fan group) The Newly forming as we speak, Lego Space and
Mecha Combine, Castle Guild! ILTCO! More!

I talked to one of the RTL guys and they said they would come down.

We could have specialness by being:

1. Public
2. Fan Participation
3. Feature Lego Robotics via kick arse RTL event
4. Lego gets to Show case their product in a co show with the Fans as a World
Show type Venue. Dont make me call the Mayor of NYC to ask him to solicit your
venue location choice! I'm sure his Honor would love to have the Lego World Show
USA at the Javits Center.

All of these kinds of groups come together each season, at the four courners of
the US.

I think I heard someone say within 6-8 hours of everyone at all times.
Not to often, but enough that everyone should be able to come at some point or
another.

blahh blahhh, I ought to go build now.

:)

c-ya,

Thanks,

Consider all of this Thank You! Something to think about in the years to come.

Eric Sophie

Jan-Mar
Apr-Jun
Jul-Sep