 Events / 927
926  |  928
Subject:
West Coast Brick Fest - concerns and hopes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:50:58 GMT

Whew, I'm in Lego Recovery after Brick Fest!

I just wanted to say a few things about this very important issue.

Firstly, I don't know where the heck Matt Gerber is, but I hope he is ok and I
hope nothing ill happened to him.

Secondly, The PBX event is about good people trying to do something about a
stagnant situation. Kudos to them.

As for my boys in So Cal. They have every right to be concerned.

I suppose if they felt like they would have been consulted first, things may not
have gone the way of shock.

Dave, Adrian, Scott et als, are great people. I know if they would have had the
chance to organize it themselves they could do so. Perhaps the So Cal Lugs gave
Matt the benifet of the doubt and were just waiting to hear from him any day
now.

Adrian made a good point. The BW events were short on Local Lug Planning.
This was strange but a credit to Matt for trying to move forward.

I would like to see the BW event to always be held at Legoland. It makes sense
to have it there.

Its a mecca and a compliment to the TLC's goal of greater relationships between
fans.

As for roving cons, I understand the reasons, but take into consideration that
if folks like Mark P. Adrian E. and Dave J. just were given a chance, they could
put on a con each year and happily so. They just didn't know that they should.

I say keep the event at Legoland. Allow others to take over the duty of
organizing the event just as Matt Gerber wanted.

He wanted others to run the next BW event the next time around. He said that all
along. If others didn't realize it was time to step up, now is the time.
O better yet next year.

I'm sorry that he is MIA, and don't let his situation ruin this for you. Nor let
it interfere or cause you not to come or support the North West Brick Con.
Please!

Still those who have been caught by surprise, I completely understand.
I also understand that the folks holding the PBX event are just trying to do
something good, and that event space they scored is something to be considered.

While it is true that two cons one state away from each other is of concern.

Man, that convention space is sweet.

I think every event should be called Brick Fest. Then sling the name of the city
next to it. Brick Fest, Brick Fest LLC, and let the NWBC is cool too.

But really consider this, Allow the Portland event to proceed with your
blessings. Then SanLUG, Lugola etc... hold the event next year and forever after
at Legoland, where it should be.

The idea of a roving con to avoid burnout only came about because no one was
certain Matt would continue, and there was no confidence of a core group of So
Cal Lugs dedicating themselves to run an Event year after year.

I say allow the PBX event to happen this year in lew of the road bumps, then
take it back and keep it at Legoland.

I say this! So Cal Lugs, this is your chance to rise to the occassion.

Please give the portland event your blessing and support, then swing into action
and organize an event at Legoland. If you show organization and dedication, I'm
sure the folks at Legoland would embrace us.

Just because some weird things happened with Matt, don't let this go down the
drain, jump on this opportunity to bring a fest back to Legoland and ask
permission to use the Brick Fest name, of ask Matt for the name or make a new
one, what the heck else can we do, we got to start again, this time it will be
done for good so it will continue,  lets unify the fan conventions so they will
be widely known. Name recognition, let's all celebrate the Brick, lets do it
under the name Brick Fest, lets do something!

Hey check this out, I want the So Cal guys to meet up and organize an event at
Legoland for next year and forever after. Roving Cons idea was just beacuse no
one wanted to shoulder the burden. Take on the burden and keep it at Legoland.
Let the Portland event happen in the interim and bring the event back to
Legoland next year.

What's wrong with the Windmill? I heard they didn't get paid.
I say so what, call them guys up and explain your a different and new committee.
Don't let a past debt interfere with your desire to have a fest at Legoland. By
rights we can just like anyone, rent the Windmill, don't mention  Matt or just
explain the difference. Our money is good.

It makes alot of sense to have an event at each of the four corners of the USA.
The arrangment we had was perfect. VA, CA, WA. I want the Upper East Coast to
have one too in time. Having one event in each season and corner of the US.

This would mean one fest in each of the Four Seasons. One fest at each of the
four corners of the US. Cool Idea I hope. Either way its just a thought no need
to jump in and pick it apart people.

I know I am probably missing alot here, but I want this all to be worked out,
and please for the love of the brick, allow the Portland event to occur with
blessings, take back the event to Legoland next year, come to the NorthWest
Brick Con - I'm driving there from New Jersey! Come on!

You guys in So Cal have my love and respect, you know that, the folks who have
stepped up, allow the folks in So Cal to reinvent themselves and do not oppose
them next year if they wish to re organize, remember the idea of a roving con
was only because no one wanted to do it.

Let the So Cal guys run a permanent Fest/Con at Legoland if they want.

By the same token, if you felt left out of the decsion to move this to Portland,
perhaps the folks didn't realize you were around. Its not easy to remember
everyone, that's why staying involved and keeping a dialog with the community is
important. Make your voice heard by staying invovled. Maintaining a presence is
not easy, but if you got over looked in the process it may have been because you
are simply not visible enough. I tottally beleive you folks in So Cal should
have been consulted about this. You have every right to be concerned. Just step
up and reinvent the organizing body and make it happen next year. Please!
Legoland is the coolest place to be as a fan! Plus Legoland can help in ways!
They have offices and and huge Parking Lots

Some of my points may be vague or not as clear as I would have liked, I just
wanted you all to know that that I am concerned and I do agree the close
proximity is of concern. I am glad that at least someone stepped up. Again,
perhaps the So Cal Lugs just didn't realize they should step up. Now they know
they can. They should also know that people like me beleive in how proud you all
were to have the event happen in your backyard, Legoland!

Also, check this out, when I went to Bricks West, I was wearing shorts and a
t-shirt. I came home and there was 6 feet of snow everywhere! Talk about a
winter wonderland!

My Fiancee had a hard time just picking me up from the airport!
So having the event in So Cal in Feb. is perfect. Us east cost guys need the get
away in the sun in the dead of winter.

So what do you guys say? Portland is a go?! Next year bring the event back to
Legoland?
The Portland Organizers, allow the So Cal Lugs to adopt the event and take over
its management? If they commit to running the event, allow them to do so and
drop the idea at least for now about a Roving Event. Allow them to run a
permanent event if they can muster the determination.

The strength lay within determination. I want to go back to Legoland!
I stayed at Motel 8 cheap about 2 miles away. There are reasonable places to
stay and we should all flock to Legoland once a year for a Fan Convention.
Remember, TLC wants to have a relationship with th fans, they also want the
public to see what we make. This is important, remember, if you all have a good
game plan, commit to it, and see it through, who is to say TLC wouldn't help us.
Perhaps help in ways we really need to ensure a Fan Convention.

I know for a fact that many people that went to Bricks West went because they
not only wanted to attend the Fest itself, but were really excited to goto
Legoland, something some people really wanted to do for a long time, this gave
them the extra reason to come.

Also keep in mind that if you folks were to speak with the folks at Lego, find
out what if anything went wrong and give assurances that the NEW organizing body
will everything in its power to ensure the past mistakes would not be repeated.

Lastly, this is a call to the So Cal and Ca Lugs in general. Adrian of SanLug,
Members of Lugola, SCLTC, to name a few, put your heads together and organize
next years return to Legoland. Form a cohesion and keep the Fest at Legoland
where it should be, come on its Legoland! Rent the Windmill again, or get Lego
to help us with a more onsite location, they got land, they may be able to help
make the event a success.

Don't forget, TLC wants to have a relationship with the fans, the public seeing
our creations is important to them, it translates into the public wanting to go
home and build more. Let's be friends to them and be smart and come back to help
build our mutual relationship. This is the start to something wonderful. Let's
make better friends with the company. Let's do them the favor of drawing people
to the park and let them help us in turn with some of the hard stuff. They said
they want too! Choose you questions for help carefully, I'm sure they would be
consdiered within reason.

We ought to flock to Legoland. Take on the organizing and present a responsible
front.
Overcome what has fallen to the way side. Overcome some of the issues that have
overcome the very reason it was taken over. Remember Steve Barrile and et als,
are good people just trying to ensure the fun we all love to have at these
events. Allow the the So-Cal lugs to run a newly organized event at Legoland in
the years to come.

If you all show the desire to pick up the ball, I'm sure they would be happy to
throw the ball back into your court. You folks just didn't know you should have.
Now you do, now I want to go back to Legoland to see the people I love.

What say you?

This is what we make of it. Let's make it happen.

Eric Sophie
GardenSLUG
Mecha Hall of Fame
SpaceLUG -TBD-
Biomechanical Bricks
Lugnet Member 1051

Seriously wanting a permanent fest at Legoland. I'll help dammit!

My deepest respect and hope.