 Events / 926
Re: BrickFest(TM) PDX 2004 Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:11:38 GMT

Hi Mark,
Thanks for summarizing your concerns! I got thru most of the old thread and it
started to hurt my head! :)

Since most of these decisions where made by many people I'll use the word we.
But please everyone don't misunderstand that "we" equates to a closed committee
etc. The initial group of people that I have been talking with was who I thought
to be the very people needed on board to have the collective will to assert this
kind of event. Not to mention that "we" will need all the help we can get!

Name: The name BrickFest has deep meaning to people and we hoped that using it
would assure people that we are serious and have the same goals as the BrickFest
in DC. I guess we're guiltily of thinking big too. Who knows how this will all
work out in the future, BrickFest might move all over North America one day,
like NMRA or GATS or countless other shows.  In fact the name and what it stands
for (aka brand recognition) is what assures people of quality no matter where it
is. At this point I start feeling a bit uncomfortable because it's not my name,
and really a BrickEvent's rep should talk about the future of BrickFest. None of
us can predict the future, so we do the best we can with what we have to work
with. Who would have predicted 250 people from all over the world at BrickFest,
4 year ago?

PDX is the Portland international airport designator was suffixed so that it
augmented the name BrickFest; BrickFest SFO, BrickFest LAX, BrickFest SEA,
BrickFest XYZ... This way where ever it goes this kind of nomenclature could be
used. PDX is actually used quite a bit around town, that's how I came up with
it. In my last post I have a disclaimer that the "name use" is year-to-year,
again it's not my name to say. And if it was, I would want to be assured that
any new coordinators would uphold its brand equity.

NW Brick Con: Great point, in my last post I have Mark (and Dan Parker) listed
as people who I have contacted. In fact the minute after the idea of having it
in PDX, I immediately thought about Mark (NW Brick Con) and how it might impact
them. Mark and I had a great conversation and he is fine with BrickFest PDX.
Again I can't talk for Mark, but if I recall correctly in one of our
conversations there was the idea of somewhere far down the road there could be a
convergence. I also know that this year's NW BrickCon is alive and well (Did I
hear some say, "SPACE!")! I do know that all the event coordinators that I have
spoken with have a kinship as opposed to adversary.

Maximize attendance: I think my last post addresses this well. It's not about
PDX and So-Cal, it is about attracting the maximum number of people and exposing
them to something they can't live without the following year regardless of where
they are! In fact I've heard that there is a caravan forming right now somewhere
around Carlsbad, hooking up with some more in LA, and even more in SFO...,
honestly people have sent me mail saying they are driving up and wanting car
pool info etc...

Mark, thanks for voicing your concerns it made me take the time to better
explain some more details I might have missed. Hope to see you in PDX!

SteveB

In lugnet.events, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.events, Steve Barile wrote:

BrickFest(TM) PDX 2004

I would like to announce plans for the 2004 west coast LEGO festival. It will be
held February 13th-15th, 2004 at the OR Convention Center (OCC) located in
Portland, OR. The fest will be similar in format to the past events including:
speeches, displays, sessions, building challenges / competitions etc. And with
exactly the same goals: fostering community, putting names to faces, and fun,
fun, fun!

Steve,

First and foremost, let me wish you luck with this event, and let me also thank
you for taking this on - I know it is in no way a small task. You should be
applauded for taking this on. But at the same time I do have concerns about this
event. Please (everybody) understand I am in no way trying to start anything, or
tell you that you can't have this event - its not my place in any way to take
that stance, and thats not what I am trying to say in any way. I also understand
this is a different event than what was BW. I do have concerns, that in no way
means I am upset or angry about this event. So I ask the people who are going to
try to spin words to stop before they start (or in some csaes stop before the
keep doing it).

Now, my biggest concern is the name for the event. I understand and agree why
the BW name has to be dropped. But I think one of the most important things for
a con is name recognition. Now, I know that will be impossible for a con to have
in its first year unless it uses a pre-established con name. And I see thats the
path you chose to take - to use a pre-established name. But that brings me
concern for 2 reasons. First, you have chosen to have this event move around
from city to city. Now this means the name will not be the same next year - thus
losing any and all name recognition that you would have built up with your first
fest. Second, the choice to use the Brickfest name. I went and re-read the mess
that Scott Costello referred to in his post (see
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickswest/?n=760 ) this happened about the time
of late 2001 - if you wish you can start here and work back:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=*956,-100&v=b One of the main points that was
brought up and that I agree with is Brickfest is Brickfest. This event will not
be Brickfest. Yes, it may be shaped after BrickFest, but alas all Lego cons are
based on BrickFest for the simple fact there is only so much that can be done at
a Lego fest. I think if you are really trying to create a con that will garner
interest from the public then using a name that will have to change from year to
year is a bad idea, and who is to say that BrickFest will let this event to
continue to use its name in the future? I am honestly surprised they agreed to
its use this time around.  And even if they do let it be used in the future the
other part of the name will have to change, as PDX is a Portland thing and would
not work outside of Portland.

Having a set name has many advantages. When people say "BrickFest" they think of
the event that just took place in DC, when you say "BricksWest" people think of
the now expired event by LLCA. IMHO thats what your rotating event needs - a
solid name that remains the same year after year despite where it is held.  IMHO
as soon as you make the event a rotating event that only greatens the need for a
solid non-changing name.

Second, the location. I understand that you would like this to be a rotating
event. And I understand the space where it is going to be held this year was
free. But I do not understand the need for 2 cons in the Pacific North West.
Yes, the idea of a rotating West Coast event was talked about at BricksWest, but
AFIK that was before the Pacific North West had their own con. I truly have a
fear that the 2 *separate* cons that close to will only dilute each other. Some
people may not feel that way, or admit to feeling that way in public - but it is
something I think needs to be taken into consideration. I think the correct
choice for a rotating con for the West Coast would have been kept in California.
This has nothing to do with the fact that I live in California - what it DOES
have to do with is NWBrick Con. I think out of respect for the people who put on
NWBrick Con we need to give them the North West, and this event should have been
focused in the South West.  I think the idea of having it rotate between San
Francisco, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Diego (not Carlsbad, but San Diego) is
a great idea. It not only gives NWBrick Con their room, but also respects them
as an event.  And the areas I just mentioned are strong enough to support a con
and also have many, many things for the family members to do while the AFOL of
the family is at the con – it can truly be made a real vacation by those who
choose to do so.

You also touched on this idea: “By moving the festival we believe that it will
maximize attendance by allowing LEGO enthusiasts that live with in driving
distance to participate more easily” But IMHO Portland is not really within
driving distance for the people in Southern California – the same people who
find Seattle within driving distance will really be the main people who find
Portland within driving distance, so there is no added benefit for the Southern
California people that I can see.

And the answer 'because it is a rotating con' does not really answer why The
Pacific North West needs 2 cons while the South West is left without any - and I
also know I am not 'owed' an answer, I am not really asking for an answer.. just
saying I do not understand why.

Again, let me state I am not trying to get anybody to change anything, I am not
making any demands. I am not asking or demanding any actions or reactions from
anybody in any way - I am voicing my concerns - and I do that as a concerned
AFOL who has been strongly effected by the loss of BW and a person who does have
a vested interest in having a successful West Coast con. I want the West Coast
event to truly rock.

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com