 Events / 932
Re: BrickFest(TM) PDX 2004 Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:11:08 GMT

In lugnet.events, Steve Barile wrote:

Representatives from clubs of the west coast: Robert Powell (SPLTC), Dan Pearson
(SCLTC), Russell Clark (BAYLTC), All (PNLTC), (VLC - TBD) have agreed to try
having the conference in a different city on the west coast each year.

Steve, I really hate being petty about this, and if I sound like an school kid
who didn't get picked to play kick ball I apologize. However, was the exclusion
of Lugola here an oversight or an intentional slight? Back before Matt took over
Brickswest and we were all contemplating having a west coast con, we in Lugola
were very insistent that BayLug and BayLTC were involved. I remember Russell
coming down to one of our meetings just to talk about it.

Can I assume that since all train clubs are represented, but no Lugs that this
is a train centric event? Were you desirous of no attendance by these Lugs or
just no input?

Look, you don’t have to seek our opinions, our sponsorship, our permission, or
even our attendance. The source of irritation that you hear from several of us
her in Southern California is based on the fact that we too realized that Matt’s
disappearance jeopardized 2004 Brickswest, and sought to run an event in it’s
stead. Granted you were much more proactive in your actions, securing a location
and assistance from all the LTC’s is great, but now we are cut off at the knees
in any event we might have planned. We don’t want to setup a competing event for
non train people on the same weekend.

As for the Brickfest name, perhaps I am embittered by all the ugliness that
occurred when we first tried to setup a west coast fest; I just really dislike
the idea that we need to seek permission from our East coast counterparts for
our conventions. I really liked our independence.

I am not in any way trying to sabotage your convention; this is your baby you do
with it what you will. These are just a few things to think about. Do not assume
that all the noise you hear from Southern California is based solely on
location, granted Oregon is not my ideal vacation spot, but it is a fine
location for a convention. To me, the next West Coast fest is very important;
Matt did a great job with the first two, but we now need to improve on what has
gone before us, prove that Brickswest may be dead, but a West Coast Lego
convention should not be.

Scott Costello
Lugola/SCLTC