 Events / 919
918  |  920
Subject:
BrickFest(TM) PDX 2004 Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:14:50 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi All,
There have been some responses to an announcement made at BrickFest 2003 about
the 2004 west coast fest. I truly apologize that this wasn't accompanied by a
post to LUGNET with more details. I have been a bit busy the last two weeks with
the ILTCO public roll out, SigGraph, and BrickFest 2003! There have been many
good points made and questions asked that I hope this announcement will address.
Thanks!
SteveB

BrickFest(TM) PDX 2004

I would like to announce plans for the 2004 west coast LEGO festival. It will be
held February 13th-15th, 2004 at the OR Convention Center (OCC) located in
Portland, OR. The fest will be similar in format to the past events including:
speeches, displays, sessions, building challenges / competitions etc. And with
exactly the same goals: fostering community, putting names to faces, and fun,
fun, fun!

Some background.
It has come to the attention of several members of the 2003 BricksWest
organization committee that BrickMedia will not be pursing a west coast LEGO
festival in 2004. We have attempted to contact him and had no responce. Any
questions or comments about this should be directed to Matt Gerber. We in no way
are attempting to "hijack" this awesome festival, but merely want to ensure the
continued momentum on the west coast that Matt worked so hard to create.

Representatives from clubs of the west coast: Robert Powell (SPLTC), Dan Pearson
(SCLTC), Russell Clark (BAYLTC), All (PNLTC), (VLC - TBD) have agreed to try
having the conference in a different city on the west coast each year. By moving
the festival we believe that it will maximize attendance by allowing LEGO
enthusiasts that live with in driving distance to participate more easily, and
we all know that once you attend a LEGO festival you'll want to return the next
time no matter where it is! Moving the festival each year will also seriously
reduce coordinator burn out and offer the local club the
opportunity to become deeply involved in supporting this community effort.

A second effort was made to gain consensus among the former festival "theme
managers", organization committee, and other community leaders including: Tim
Courtney - LDraw, Frank Filz - Gaming (Arrr), Steve Barile - Trains, Jon Palmer
- Space (Moon-base project), Dan Parker - BW Expo Coordinator, Todd Thuma -
Ani-Film Fest, Christina Hitchcock - BrickFest, & Mark Neuman - NW Brick Con.
(Note this is not a complete nor exhaustive list of all theme managers /
community leaders.) After the announcement at BrickFest 2003 in DC, many others
have spiritedly offered their support. So with the support of the west coast
clubs and the community leaders we felt that we could move to the next step.

The first concern was securing a location for the fest. PNLTC's Jeremy Rear has
graciously offered to display his giant model of the OCC in the lobby of the
real OCC for 1 year in exchange for the ~6500 square feet of meeting rooms in
the brand new OCC expansion (it's a wonderful facility)! This request was
excitedly accepted in a recent meeting we had with the director of the OCC.

Since the name BricksWest is a trademark of BrickMedia we did not have the
option to use it. We then approached BrickEvents (Christina Hitchcock, Denise
Jadud, Stephen Roberts, Kevin Loch) with our plans and intentions asking
permission to use the variation of the BrickFest name, BrickFest PDX, and they
agreed (FYI: future events will need to make separate requests for name usage).
This vote of confidence is based on the BrickFest PDX 2004 pre-organizing
committee's combined reputation and the fact that the venue is
secured.

It is well established that these festivals are held for the fans and by the
fans, however it is also well understood that organizing such a complex effort
can not be done efficiently by a committee. We will soon be making announcements
soliciting volunteers to support all the LEGO theme areas and the necessary
administrative positions. It is our vision that each theme will have a small
group of volunteers and they will select a leader from within that will be part
of the event organizing group. It is also our intention to use a combination of
local club members and past administrators for the administrative roles; this
way we get the best of both worlds, past experience and face-to-face meeting
opportunities. Descriptions of these roles will
be posted at the time of solicitation.

More info.
6,500 sq. ft. of space: 1 giant main room, 1 giant expo room, & 2
large class rooms
Downtown Portland (a beautiful city I might add!)
The light rail (MAX) connects the airport to the OCC as well as the
rest of down town.

We hope to see you all there!

Steve Barile
Event Coordinator