 Events / 952
Re: Florida AFoL Fest? And Greater Mid West Area (was: West Coast Brick Fest - concerns and hopes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:48:08 GMT

In lugnet.events, Tim Courtney wrote:
From what I know, the license of the name BrickFest(tm) to the PDX event is a
one-time deal, and future uses of the trademark will need to be approved for
each event.

     Not to disparage anyone, but I feel that part of the character of a Con
comes from having a unique name.  I know with RPG/Comic Cons there's GenCon and
GenCon UK, and there's San Diego Comic-Con and Motor City Comic-Con, but think
of how boring it would be if we had GenCon Atlanta instead of DragonCon, GenCon
Los Angeles instead of OrcCon, or Chicago Comic-Con instead of Wizard World
Chicago.  Being the biggest Con of a genre means you should receive respect for
what you've acheived, not that everyone should try to clone your event (I mean,
how boring would it be if it was the exact same event held five times a year?).
Granted, things get a bit more limited when the prevailing theme is always going
to be "Bricks", but I think I've seen unrefutable proof that this is a group of
highly imaginative people.