 Events / 953
Re: Florida AFoL Fest? And Greater Mid West Area (was: West Coast Brick Fest - concerns and hopes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 05:15:01 GMT

In lugnet.events, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.events, Tim Courtney wrote:

Eric & All -
I just want to clear up that BrickFest(tm) is a trademark of Brick Events, LLC.
They're keen on not seeing their trademark diluted, and rightfully so - since
they've put in an incredible amount of effort over the past four years to build
up BrickFest(tm) to what it is today. Please respect that.

OMG - Please oh please tell me we are not going to go down this road again. This
is something that really irks me in such a major way its not even close to being
funny.

The only reason I mentioned it is I noted the way Eric was referencing generic
LEGO fan events as "BrickFest," and I had noted the quote below from this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=927
I think every event should be called Brick Fest. Then sling the name of the
city next to it. Brick Fest, Brick Fest LLC, and let the NWBC is cool too.

Perhaps in hindsight I should have posted this note in direct response to that
quote.

We are *very* aware of the (tm) and nobody is trying to hurt anybody, Maybe it
should be taken as a compliment people try to strive to reach the same level as
BF has.

Yes, it should be taken as a compliment. But, an unfortunate side effect of our
legal system is we have to assert trademarks and ensure they don't get diluted,
so they can be protected. Hence LEGO's lawyers and the way they act towards our
use of the LEGO brand, too.

Not saying I like it, just saying it's the way it is. It's also playing nice to
respect other people's names they've built up - trademarked or not.

Again, not trying to drag the issue you are sensitive to up to be re-hashed.
Only issuing a friendly reminder.

-Tim

(I'm not a partner in Brick Events, LLC, but I'm a big fan of what they do. I'm
also very much in favor of seeing new fests start up and will support them
however I can - or at the very least in spirit - when they do.)