 Castle / 18693
Re: Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:31:38 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Chris Phillips wrote:

You could try Duplo (it is fully compatible with System) but you may find that it is even more expensive than an equivalent stack of regular brick.

The most widely-used technique that I’ve seen is a mix of 2x4s and 2x2s to create a lattice support structure underground. Typically, short stacks of five 2x2s are used in columns in between layers of 2x4s that bind the columns to each other. If you build like I do, 2x2 is probably your least-used common brick shape, so you probably have a lot of it available for this purpose. I find that using large “waffle brick” near or at the top helps to hold everything together very well. A picture speaks 1,00 words:

This idea is Brilliant, Looks as though a lot less bricks required. At the moment I have been using 2x4 bricks, keeping them two studs apart and overlapping them(wish I had a pic to make sense). This method still uses a lot, at least I now have some more use for the abundance of un-used 2x2 bricks. The pic you have provided gives a Great insight on where to start. Thanks for that Chris............

Hope this helps!

It does, Thank you,

Dave

- Chris.