 Castle / 18683
Re: Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:40:49 GMT

Hi Dave,

I thought about this problem a great deal as I wanted to create a seaside
town with a dock and so I needed to elevate the town above sea-level. I
ended up using the duplo solution for this. You can see pictures at:

http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~srk1/lego/

Unfortunately I don't have my construction pictures up yet but in this
picture:

http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~srk1/lego/creations/town01.jpg

you can partially see on the left-hand-side that I have built duplo bricks
up on a 48x48 gray baseplate. On top of that I have used 8x8 and 8x16
bricks upon which I can build however I like. This system has worked out
very well for me!

As for the cost of duplo, I tend to find them notoriously cheap at
garage/yard sales - much cheaper than I would the 2x4 standard bricks
needed to fill the equivalent space. Also, you need not build the duplo
base solid but, as you might be able to see in my picture, you can leave
gaps in between and get more elevation using less duplo bricks.

Whatever technique you decide to use, I hope it works out for you as I
understand that it can be a difficult problem to solve and the best
solution depends on what you're trying to build.

Cheers,

Stephen Kane

Dave wrote:

Hi all,

I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the
moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to
ask for all.

What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping,
mountains, cliffs, etc). 2x4 standard bricks, Duplo bricks???

I have tried the standard 2x4 brick, but have found myself using over 2000
pieces, where I could have used these to build another model, mind you, it
can get a little expensive, when purchasing through BL or S@H.

I havent tried the Duplo brick, and just wanted to know whether or not it
is worth my while spending on this method. Does the standard brick fit
easy to a Duplo brick?

Is there another method I just dont know of? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

|   "The Universe, as has been observed before, is an unsettlingly   |
|      big place, a fact which for the sake of a quiet life most     |
|              people tend to ignore." -- Douglas Adams              |
| Dr. Stephen R. Kane                  School of Physics & Astronomy |
| http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~srk1/       University of St Andrews |
| Email: srk1@st-andrews.ac.uk                           North Haugh |
| Phone: +44-1334-463067                  St Andrews, Fife  KY16 9SS |
| Fax:   +44-1334-463104                                    Scotland |