 Castle / 18696
Re: Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:15:01 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Ishak wrote:
Hi all,

I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the
moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for
all.

What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping,
mountains, cliffs, etc). 2x4 standard bricks, Duplo bricks???

I have tried the standard 2x4 brick, but have found myself using over 2000
pieces, where I could have used these to build another model, mind you, it can
get a little expensive, when purchasing through BL or S@H.

I havent tried the Duplo brick, and just wanted to know whether or not it is
worth my while spending on this method. Does the standard brick fit easy to a
Duplo brick?

Is there another method I just dont know of? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

The GMLTC uses a "grid and tower" system, with towers of 2x2 bricks, and a grid
of 2x4 bricks.

Left-to-right:  Towers, grid, overlay (surface).  The green bricks represent the
outside wall of the module, the blue 1x4 bricks are what leaves room for the
grid to tie into the outside wall.  Each 'surface' brick rests on six studs of
the grid, so they're well supported.

If you're concerned about strength, don't be - we have pictures (somewhere) of
some of us *standing* on top of a module built this way.

Yea, it requires a zillion bricks, but if you want to raise a smaller area it's
not too bad.  You can also alter the grid height in order to have sloped areas.

Other folks have come up with similar grid systems, unfortunately I don't have
any links to them.  But if you come up with something else that works, let us
know!

JohnG, GMLTC