 Castle / 18694
Re: Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:20:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Ishak wrote:
   Hi all,

I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for all.

What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping, mountains, cliffs, etc). 2x4 standard bricks, Duplo bricks???

I’ve done several different methods; nearly everything I build these days seems to start with some buildup inside or underneath...

Methods I’ve used:

4x4 columns with regular baseplate on top.

This works quite well for landscape, although the baseplates can get a bit wobbly. I put a column at each corner (where 4 baseplates meet) and a larger 8x8 column in the middle of each baseplate helps keep them from being too bendy. I don’t tend to use this method much any more, unless I’m trying to raise a really large area (dozens of baseplates worth).

GMLTC lattice

This is an incredably sturdy lattice that unfortunately consumes a fair volume of 2x2 and 2x4 bricks. However it’s sturdy enough to stand on, and is the easiest to hook solidly into a hillside or other sculpted terrain.

Method 2x2 pillars with 2x4’s tying them together, and 2x4’s on top to make the solid surface. 2x2 pillars shouldn’t be more than 6 or maybe 7 bricks high (that’s experience talking...), but you can make it several layers high. GMLTC modules are 25 bricks high, which is I think 4 layers.

Picture(courtesy of John Gerlach):

Superbricks

This is what I’ve started to use most of the time. 4x4 pillars of brick with the big 12x24 superbricks over top. Very stable, Very low on brick usage. Can have a lot of weight sitting on it. I haven’t tried standing on it, but I can lean on it with a lot of my weight.

Another way to use Superbricks is as removable floor pieces in a multi-level building. This can take a lot of tile, though.

Pictures

Some examples of things I’ve built which used one or more of these methods extensively:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=33686 (This last shot has a good view of the back, showing both ‘superbrick held up by colums’ and GMLTC lattice on top of that)

http://www.nalug.org/2003-Londonderry/castle/index.html Several pictures of my latest castle here, but I couldn’t find a good one that showed the buildup really well.

This picture (provided you ignore the minifigs in the foreground) gives a decent impression:

http://www.nalug.org/2003-Londonderry/castle/castle04.jpg

thanks,

James