 Castle / 18677
Subject:
Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:45:02 GMT

Hi all,

I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the
moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for
all.

What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping,
mountains, cliffs, etc). 2x4 standard bricks, Duplo bricks???

I have tried the standard 2x4 brick, but have found myself using over 2000
pieces, where I could have used these to build another model, mind you, it can
get a little expensive, when purchasing through BL or S@H.

I havent tried the Duplo brick, and just wanted to know whether or not it is
worth my while spending on this method. Does the standard brick fit easy to a
Duplo brick?

Is there another method I just dont know of? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: Raising a model?
I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the
moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for
all.

Well thank the stars for that!

I havent tried the Duplo brick, and just wanted to know whether or not it is
worth my while spending on this method. Does the standard brick fit easy to a
Duplo brick?

I have used duplo, and the normal bricks fit OK on top, but obviously only in
multiples of 2 and also only using 2*x bricks not plates or 1*x bricks.

The bonding is quite weak, so you need to remember to lift by the base not by
the upper part.

Is there another method I just dont know of? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

You don't need a solid base, you can build up a framework out of bricks and
plates in colours you don't use very much (resists urge to refer to new greys).
I estimate you would use 80-90% less bricks using a framework approach. Don't
ask me to send pics, my frameworks are kinda random and ugly, usually rushed
because they are the boring part.

Mark

Re: Raising a model?
I have used duplo, and the normal bricks fit OK on top, but obviously only in
multiples of 2 and also only using 2*x bricks not plates or 1*x bricks.

The bonding is quite weak, so you need to remember to lift by the base not by
the upper part.

That puts Duplo out of the question. I have an abundance of light grey 1*x
pieces in all sizes, try to hold onto the 2*x bricks for strength.

What do you mean by lifting from the base and not from the upper part?

You don't need a solid base, you can build up a framework out of bricks and
plates in colours you don't use very much (resists urge to refer to new greys).
I estimate you would use 80-90% less bricks using a framework approach. .

The framework approach is where I have restarted and I find I am still using a
lot of fill in, but you are right, I am finding that Im not using as much.

usually rushed because they are the boring part.

Too right there, sometimes you can get that bored with this that the finishing
model doesnt turn out the way you imagined.

Thanks for your advice Mark....................

Dave

Re: Raising a model?
I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for all.

What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping, mountains, cliffs, etc). 2x4 standard bricks, Duplo bricks???

I have tried the standard 2x4 brick, but have found myself using over 2000 pieces, where I could have used these to build another model, mind you, it can get a little expensive, when purchasing through BL or S@H.

I havent tried the Duplo brick, and just wanted to know whether or not it is worth my while spending on this method. Does the standard brick fit easy to a Duplo brick?

Is there another method I just dont know of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could try Duplo (it is fully compatible with System) but you may find that it is even more expensive than an equivalent stack of regular brick.

The most widely-used technique that I’ve seen is a mix of 2x4s and 2x2s to create a lattice support structure underground. Typically, short stacks of five 2x2s are used in columns in between layers of 2x4s that bind the columns to each other. If you build like I do, 2x2 is probably your least-used common brick shape, so you probably have a lot of it available for this purpose. I find that using large “waffle brick” near or at the top helps to hold everything together very well. A picture speaks 1,00 words:

Hope this helps!

- Chris.

Re: Raising a model?