 Castle / 18680
Re: Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:02:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Ishak wrote:
   Hi all,

I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for all.

What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping, mountains, cliffs, etc). 2x4 standard bricks, Duplo bricks???

I have tried the standard 2x4 brick, but have found myself using over 2000 pieces, where I could have used these to build another model, mind you, it can get a little expensive, when purchasing through BL or S@H.

I havent tried the Duplo brick, and just wanted to know whether or not it is worth my while spending on this method. Does the standard brick fit easy to a Duplo brick?

Is there another method I just dont know of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could try Duplo (it is fully compatible with System) but you may find that it is even more expensive than an equivalent stack of regular brick.

The most widely-used technique that I’ve seen is a mix of 2x4s and 2x2s to create a lattice support structure underground. Typically, short stacks of five 2x2s are used in columns in between layers of 2x4s that bind the columns to each other. If you build like I do, 2x2 is probably your least-used common brick shape, so you probably have a lot of it available for this purpose. I find that using large “waffle brick” near or at the top helps to hold everything together very well. A picture speaks 1,00 words:

Hope this helps!

- Chris.