 Castle / 18700
Re: Raising a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 05:38:32 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Ishak wrote:
I don't have the best of suggestions -- other than to caution you about how much
weight you want to put on the 'raised' area.  If it's really light, just about
anything goes: a lattice, duplo (though I just can't imagine myself doing that),
or even just elevating a baseplate.  If you are not doing hillsides and just
want height you can get by with a  Lego facade (sp?) which covers something
totally non-Lego like a cardboard box.

I am trying to Build a Castle which I guess will have a lot of top end weight,
the lattice approach seems the most logical at the moment. It looks as though
this model will be Quite heavy, might just have to double the Lattice work.

But, height can be a really compelling aspect of a MOC.  I would suggest just
biting the bullet and using those off-color cat-chewed bricks you usually give
to the kids (like I do).  I think you'll be happier with a fully detailed
hillside, wall or cliff face, whatever you build.

Too right, Have seen many raised MOCs and have always wanted to put in the
effort and time to do something myself, so here it goes.......

Thanks Dave

Dave

Dave O'Hare

Dave,

I know what you mean about large constructions with lateral and top weight.
Here is the link to my overly large castle (mind you, it's a little too big):

If you go up a link, you can see the progress on the building all the way down
to the basic green baseplates.

What I had decided to do, was to build an entire basement level and then build
the tower on top of that.  So, when it comes down to it, I'm not sure if my MOC
is actually 'raised' but it's approaching 4 feet tall and 5 feet long.  Yeah,
too big.

Anyway, when I built each section (I decided to build in 'units' one baseplate
in size) I built a pretty good load bearing block of lego in each corner of the
plate or floor, depending on which level of the tower you are looking at.  When
it comes down to it, I have nothing more then two or three 2x 4 brick stacks
holding up the entire thing.  Amazingly, it's quite stable, although I would not
stand on it *laugh*  This aspect of the raising was pretty easy as I was mostly
just building big cubes -- and anyone with the brick can do that.

For the hillsides, this was more difficult.  I wanted a nice slope and some
grass on top, but I did not want to build solid masses of brick underneath; I
had already used up the colors I don't ever use on surrounding the basement
rooms.  So, I built frameworks under the hillsides and went from there.  Since
the hillsides are not carrying much weight at all, this seems to have worked out
great.  And, I suppose that's the key thing to consider -- weight and stability
of the structure.

Are you planning landscaping around your castle?  I would suggest hills and a
basement / dungeon layer.  It's a lot of fun and looks pretty good.

Email if you have any questions!

Dave  DaveOhare01@yahoo.com