 Castle / 18677
  Raising a model?

Hi all, I know this may be a change of topic to what is most popular at the moment(colour changes and new castle sets), but I just had a question to ask for all. What do most AFOLs use as an underlay when raising a model? (landscaping, mountains, (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) Well thank the stars for that! (...) I have used duplo, and the normal bricks fit OK on top, but obviously only in multiples of 2 and also only using 2*x bricks not plates or 1*x bricks. The bonding is quite weak, so you need to remember to (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) That puts Duplo out of the question. I have an abundance of light grey 1*x pieces in all sizes, try to hold onto the 2*x bricks for strength. What do you mean by lifting from the base and not from the upper part? (...) The framework approach (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) You could try Duplo (it is fully compatible with System) but you may find that it is even more expensive than an equivalent stack of regular brick. The most widely-used technique that I've seen is a mix of 2x4s and 2x2s to create a lattice (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Raising a model?

"Dave" <ishakd@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:Hp08F2.13zp@lugnet.com... (...) ---...---8<-------- snip (...) I use a latice of 2xX bricks to build up a framework. I have bags of old crummy scratched and pre abs LEGO bricks I have been trying (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) I don't have the best of suggestions -- other than to caution you about how much weight you want to put on the 'raised' area. If it's really light, just about anything goes: a lattice, duplo (though I just can't imagine myself doing that), or (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

Hi Dave, I thought about this problem a great deal as I wanted to create a seaside town with a dock and so I needed to elevate the town above sea-level. I ended up using the duplo solution for this. You can see pictures at: (URL) I don't have my (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) Hi David. (...) Feel free, new threads are good! (...) For me it depends on the moc. Cliffs are pretty easy using BURPs and LURPs. See the current BUB thread for pics of a cliff. (URL) (...) When I have raised a moc I almost never fill in (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) You know those thick plates they use in many of the Harry Potter sets? I usually build several columns of 2x2 bricks, and then put those harry potter plates on top. It's really quick and easy. I think LEGO S@H sells then in a variety of colors (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) I once raised up 32x32 baseplates. Underneath I used 4x4 pillars. At the edges, the pillars would wrap over the edge of the baseplate to hold it down. Baseplate is really equal to one plate. Now that every Harry Potter set comes with a thick (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) This idea is Brilliant, Looks as though a lot less bricks required. At the moment I have been using 2x4 bricks, keeping them two studs apart and overlapping them(wish I had a pic to make sense). This method still uses a lot, at least I now (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) Great MOC Stephen! Checking out the pics, I can see the Duplo base, very simple, and yet looks extremely efficient. Seeing many great MOCs on Brickshelf, you never really see how these models have been raised and always keeps you curious as to (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) I am trying to Build a Castle which I guess will have a lot of top end weight, the lattice approach seems the most logical at the moment. It looks as though this model will be Quite heavy, might just have to double the Lattice work. (...) Too (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) I've done several different methods; nearly everything I build these days seems to start with some buildup inside or underneath... Methods I've used: 4x4 columns with regular baseplate on top. This works quite well for landscape, although the (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) Interesting. It looks like it would be much more vulnerable to shear than the "GMLTC lattice" (search for that string to find lots of posts about it) though.... (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) The GMLTC uses a "grid and tower" system, with towers of 2x2 bricks, and a grid of 2x4 bricks. (URL) Towers, grid, overlay (surface). The green bricks represent the outside wall of the module, the blue 1x4 bricks are what leaves room for the (...) (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) This was my first attempt and unfortunately, I failed miserably. I found I had too much sag in the Base plate between the 8x8 column and the edges. However, I have used this method in one part of my MOC where the Ground will be raised only (...) (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) Right, this design is not as strong in the lateral direction as a more dense lattice. For a stronger structure, you can place more layers of 2x4s, ie: put an X and a Y support brace together between every 5 2x2s instead of alternating x 5 y 5 (...) (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Raising a model?

(...) Dave, I know what you mean about large constructions with lateral and top weight. Here is the link to my overly large castle (mind you, it's a little too big): (URL) you go up a link, you can see the progress on the building all the way down (...) (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Raising a model?

I store my 2x4 bricks by making them into like-colored 4x4 stacks and then throwing all of these together into a bucket, so it is very fast for me to just take these 4x4 stacks as support columns. I also sometimes make stacks of rectangular BURPs as (...) (20 years ago, 1-Dec-03, to lugnet.castle)