 CAD / 9838
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:24:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
[...] They could still leverage their patent
portfolio http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=8622 to achieve that goal.

Oh!  That's interesting!  The upside of thisof course  is that at least some
of the LXF format -is- documented.  That's good.  Hmm, I wonder which
countries LEGO has obtained this patent in, or if it's even enforceable in
the U.S.?  Does anyone at a law firm or in law school have access to all 89
claims?  Granted patents are public information, so someone could post a
copy of the claims here and we could pick them apart for fun.

Yikes!  I'm gonna have to stop reading Todd's posts.  They're bringing
out my paranoid side.  I think I'll just cross my fingers, cover my
eyes and ears, and hope for the best in June.

Sorry, I'm not trying to make anyone else paranoid or offend Jake or anyone
else at LEGO, I just think it's in our best interests for us all to ask
tough questions and state our deepest concerns honestly, publicly, and
candidly, before becoming overly enthusiastic.  Don't get me wrong, I think
LEGO is headed in a great direction with this.

The question I think we all must ask ourselves is, what do we each give up
in order to get what LEGO is asking us to buy into with our individual and
collective time and brainpower?

--Todd