 CAD / 9834
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:08:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee writes:
However, as
many developers will tell you, it's good to try and manage the growth of a
format to some extent, so we would like to maintain the official list of
what the format includes.

So -- no, it won't be an open format?  It'll be a closed, proprietary,
undocumented format?

Those aren't the only two alternatives. It could well be closed (changes
controlled by LEGO only, rather than by a standards committee) but still
well documented rather than "undocumented".

Ya, that would be a lot like Adobe's approach to PostScript.  It's a closed
language in that Adobe has decreed that they are the official purveyors of
enhancements to the language, but it's an open language in that it's extremely
well documented.

I suspect that LXF will be a completely undocumented, proprietary, closed,
binary file format and that it will be up to us to reverse engineer the file
format in order to create useful cross-platform tools to manipulate LXF files.
On the other hand, reverse engineering the file format may engender ill will,
the fear of which works towards TLC's advantage, passively discouraging people
from attempting it.  It'll be interesting to watch this unfold.  I made my
best case for a well-documented text-based format long ago...I was thanked
for my input and I think that's as far as the suggestions got.  :-)

I would *love* to be proven wrong, however, because I don't think it's
healthy for the community to be locked into and dependent on a proprietary
SDK and proprietary conversion tools to interface with LXF files --
especially software that isn't cross-platform.  I also think that TLC won't
achieve its goal of having LXF be the new de-facto standard for interchange
of models online unless TLC either releases -all- the parts or works with the
community to allow the community to develop unofficial versions of the parts.

--Todd