 CAD / 9818
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:10:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee writes:
In (or around) June we will be releasing the latest and best
version, tentatively codenamed "LEGO Digital Designer."

Is this the program announced three years ago?

"And in 2002, we will begin a program
where LEGO builders will be able to build any three dimensional creation using
free software to create building instructions for their model - and then order
the appropriate number and type of bricks," says Torben Ballegaard Sørensen.

(quoted from this December 2000 post
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=24 , and thanks Suz for copying it,
the URL you mentioned in the post no longer contains this release)

It's very disappointing that now, a year past the release date, we are being
told of the software, but get no mention of the ordering service T.B.S.
promised.  Is this the future of Lego?  It seems that lately Lego is very
happy to solicit market research and make secret deals with developers, but
we end users and consumers get only empty promises.

Last year, I remembered that Press release from December 2000 and posted a
check-up message in lugnet.lego.direct
(http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4443) asking for an update.  Has it
taken Lego a full year to formulate a response?

Disillusioned customer,
Ben Roller