 CAD / 9836
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:04:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Todd Lehman writes:
I suspect that LXF will be a completely undocumented, proprietary, closed,
binary file format and that it will be up to us to reverse engineer the file
format in order to create useful cross-platform tools to manipulate LXF files.
I would *love* to be proven wrong, however, because I don't think it's
healthy for the community to be locked into and dependent on a proprietary
SDK and proprietary conversion tools to interface with LXF files --
especially software that isn't cross-platform.

I also hope you're proven wrong, but the presence of an NDA would
seem to indicate otherwise.  Either way, I'm willing to work on cross
platform tools if the Digital Designer software is more popular with
my kids than Creator was.

I also think that TLC won't
achieve its goal of having LXF be the new de-facto standard for interchange
of models online unless TLC either releases -all- the parts or works with the
community to allow the community to develop unofficial versions of the parts.

I don't know about that.  They could still leverage their patent
portfolio http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=8622 to achieve that goal.

Yikes!  I'm gonna have to stop reading Todd's posts.  They're bringing
out my paranoid side.  I think I'll just cross my fingers, cover my
eyes and ears, and hope for the best in June.

Don