 CAD / 9841
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:33:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Todd Lehman writes:

Sorry, I'm not trying to make anyone else paranoid or offend Jake or anyone
else at LEGO, I just think it's in our best interests for us all to ask
tough questions and state our deepest concerns honestly, publicly, and
candidly, before becoming overly enthusiastic.  Don't get me wrong, I think
LEGO is headed in a great direction with this.

Not at all offended. I knew there would be some questions and concerns.
There have been a number of things raised that I will work on getting solid
answers for, since I'm not well versed in the details of this project.
Before much of this spirals out of control, let me get some answers and then
we can talk.

The question I think we all must ask ourselves is, what do we each give up
in order to get what LEGO is asking us to buy into with our individual and
collective time and brainpower?

I can totally respect that. I would just ask that you give the benefits
equal thought too. What do you get by buying in?

I swear that we are not the "big bad company", and we aren't out to take
advantage of anyone. We are a group of people working on a very long term
project for many many months, and are doing our absolute best to share as
much with you as possible. We have no interest or intention of releasing a
standard file format that doesn't allow the community to add their own
parts. As mentioned in the announcement, for the forseeable future, the
LDraw format and LXF will probably live side by side.

We haven't developed (and aren't trying to) any kind of "secret society", or
playing favorites. This project is monumentally large in that we are
releasing data on how LEGO elements (our very reason for being as a company)
are described. As you can imagine, there is much legal groundwork to lay,
and is still being laid. Rather than involve the community when this is
finished, we decided to invite the LDraw software developers (under NDA) to
have some discussions with us about the concepts we are working on. Simply
put, we have to protect our business.

By the way, the thing that we "want" from the community on this
collaboration is not to have you write software for us, we are already
working on that (Digital Designer). Rather we felt it was important to share
as much as possible with you in order to help drive community. Imagine if
the original Mindstorms software had focused on kids, but we had also
released the details of the RCX to the AFOLs at launch. It wouldn't have
made much difference to the kids market, since a 10-12 year old wouldn't
have developed NQC, for instance. But man, it would have made it easier to
develop that language.

More information tomorrow!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Development Manager - N. America
LEGO Direct