 CAD / 9846
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:03:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Erik Olson writes:
In my opinion, what killed the community's enthusiuasm for working with LEGO
was LEGO's intention to patent the file format (and complicate it to do so.)

That's raises an interesting moral and ethical dilemma:  Is it morally
acceptable to support the LXF format?  Do you think anyone will boycott it?

Since then, LEGO has obtained a government monopoly on CAD that is so broad,
it could even be construed to cover LDRAW (if not for the obvious fact that
LDRAW is prior art, aside from the lack of documentation of that fact.)

Aren't millions of copies of USENET articles dating back to 1994-5
documentation enough?

At the least, no one can know where they stand without hiring a lawyer.
Since we are writing code for free, that's not really in the cards.

Hiring a lawyer for this might be a good use of LDraw.org funds.  I'll
personally pledge to donate $100 USD toward LDraw.org hiring a patent lawyer
to look for potential issues if someone is serious enough to follow through
with it.

For this reason, it is necessary for LEGO to freely license its
recently-acquired "intellectual property" (I emphasize the dubious nature of
software patents) if it wants something in return, i.e. that we all work
with LEGO for free.  Anything less will leave uncertainty, fear and doubt.

I agree.

The matter will probably never be clear. I doubt Compaq will license its
software patents for virtual LEGO.

Compaq (HP?) owns software patents on virtual LEGO???

--Todd