 CAD / 9854
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:03:08 GMT

Hi Jake!

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee writes:
== A new LEGO building application ==
LEGO has been making building software for many years now (like LEGO Creator
and LEGO CAD). In (or around) June we will be releasing the latest and best
version, tentatively codenamed "LEGO Digital Designer." You will be able to
download it from LEGO.com. It's targeted at kids and novice users, so it's
not meant to "compete" with the powerful tools that have been developed for
the LDraw file format. We hope that it'll be a fun and easy to learn way for
many new users, young and old, to start playing with LEGO bricks in 3D. As
they learn, they would hopefully graduate to more complex powerful LEGO
building tools.

Sounds great!

== Our goal is for all LEGO-style building software to work together ==
We think all LEGO builders, inside and outside the company, should have
tools that suit their skill level and particular requirements, and that you
should be able to move models between these tools. For many years now we
have been developing an internal file format, known as LXF, to make this
kind of interaction possible. Starting a couple years ago, we also solicited
input from some members of the LDraw community about what they would like to
see in a new LEGO model format, and we'd like to continue that process. We
would also like to see the LDraw file format models work with LXF format for
the same reason -- so that models you build in one program can be used in
others.

I'm very excited by this idea. I'm glad you are planning to work with what
the community has developed and used. As you mentioned in the previous
paragraph, this provides an excellent opportunity for kids using LDD to
graduate to more complex, community-developed tools and continue using the
models they've created with your software. That level of pledged
interactivity demonstrates to me LEGO's commitment to honoring the time and
energy the community has put into developing their own free tools.

== LDraw Standards Committee (LSC) collaboration ==
It is absolutely marvelous to see the LDraw community begin a push towards
formalization. This will, end the long run, make it much easier for LEGO to
work with directly with the LDraw community on issues of collaboration, and
future development. Much like the ILTCO provides a “Batphone” between the
Train community and LEGO, hopefully this is the Batphone to the LDraw community.

Thanks for the nod :-) I'm honored to have the LDraw community's efforts in
this area recognized, from both a technical and an organizational standpoint.

I've snipped the rest, as people more technically competent than I have
started asking what I think are the right questions. I think Todd's
questions are great, and necessary for all here to be considering. I hope
he's read positively - as from his posts he's indicated his excitement over
this, but also his legitimate reservations. Thanks, Jake, for taking the
time to engage and answer his questions.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this project! Thanks for
sharing!

-Tim