 CAD / 9878
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 03:29:51 GMT

I can see this being a great thing as long as:
1.it doesnt have any artificial limits on it
2.the LXF file format is documented and there are no restrictions on using
it (ref the TLC patents mentioned earlier in the thread)
3.it has support for all the colors lego bricks come in (and allows you to
use any part in any color)
4.it has part definitions for all the parts for which TLC has computer
models of (its probobly likely that they dont have computer models of a
whole pile of really old stuff)
5.it has pattern definitions for all the patterned parts for which TLC has
computer representations of (again, they probobly dont have all the older
stuff online)
6.it handles stickers somehow (again, coming with a library of sticker
definitions where possible)
7.there is a way to add new parts to the library (for all the parts TLC
doesnt release because e.g. they dont have cad models of them)
and 8.there is a clear licence governing what we can & cant do with the
program, parts library and defintions released by LEGO, as well as what we
can & cant do with output from the program.