 CAD / 9824
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:02:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ben Roller writes:
"And in 2002, we will begin a program
where LEGO builders will be able to build any three dimensional creation
using free software to create building instructions for their model - and
then order the appropriate number and type of bricks," says Torben
Ballegaard Sørensen.

(quoted from this December 2000 post
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=24 , and thanks Suz for copying
it, the URL you mentioned in the post no longer contains this release)

It's very disappointing that now, a year past the release date, we are
being told of the software, but get no mention of the ordering service
T.B.S. promised.  Is this the future of Lego?  It seems that lately Lego
is very happy to solicit market research and make secret deals with
developers, but we end users and consumers get only empty promises.

FWIW, the VP at TLC who is quoted as saying this actually ended up leaving
TLC not too long after the 7 Dec 2000 press release.  On 18 Mar 2001 (101
days later), a Bang & Olufsen press release announced that Sørensen had left
LEGO and would become B&O's new CEO as of 1 Jul 2001:

   http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=28848

Last year, I remembered that Press release from December 2000 and posted a
check-up message in lugnet.lego.direct
(http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4443) asking for an update.  Has it
taken Lego a full year to formulate a response?

Disillusioned customer,
Ben Roller

Sørensen's departure probably dealt a heavy blow to TLC...and he may have
been one of the key players at TLC supporting and pushing for the mentioned
product.  I don't know much about him but had the opportunity to meet him
in Nov 2000 and he seemed like he was really on top of things and expressed
excitement and enthusiasm about the future and about LEGO returning to more
traditional building values.  I guess B&O made him an offer he couldn't
refuse.  Obviously this doesn't help answer your question as to why no one
at TLC responded to your post last year, but I hope it sheds a bit of light.

--Todd