 CAD / 9839
Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:52:33 GMT

In my opinion, what killed the community's enthusiuasm for working with LEGO
was LEGO's intention to patent the file format (and complicate it to do so.)
Since then, LEGO has obtained a government monopoly on CAD that is so broad,
it could even be construed to cover LDRAW (if not for the obvious fact that
LDRAW is prior art, aside from the lack of documentation of that fact.)

At the least, no one can know where they stand without hiring a lawyer.
Since we are writing code for free, that's not really in the cards.

For this reason, it is necessary for LEGO to freely license its
recently-acquired "intellectual property" (I emphasize the dubious nature of
software patents) if it wants something in return, i.e. that we all work
with LEGO for free.  Anything less will leave uncertainty, fear and doubt.

The matter will probably never be clear. I doubt Compaq will license its
software patents for virtual LEGO.

-Erik