 CAD / 10674
Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:42:26 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney wrote:
   Hey everyone! Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there already).

Its also available immediately from the publisher, No Starch Press, at http://www.nostarch.com/vlego.htm.

This book is a lenghty tutorial on how to use the LDraw suite of tools to create your own virtual LEGO models on your computer, render photo-realistic scenes, and output your own custom building instructions! We’ve packed it with reference material and practical insight to help you as you learn. The CD-ROM comes with an installer that will configure the software automatically for you - you don’t have to jump through hoops a la LDraw.org installation pages to get started :-)

So far, its gotten great reviews from people who have commented to us on it (Orion, Jake, Eric S...), so that makes us happy. :-) I hope the book is informative and educational.

Enjoy!

Tim, Steve and Ahui,

Congratulations on your new book! I scanned through the signed copy Tim gave me, thanks Tim. I am quite impressed. I did a quick scan of the LPub and LSynth sections and you represent them very well. I’ve been studying the part creation chapter as I want to get into creating parts. It is quite helpful. Now I have to find a good millemeter caliper.

The book is impressive in the broad scope, and clear explanations of complex issues. I know how hard this can be. When it reads as easily as yours does, sometimes people don’t understand how much work it is to make things that simple.

I’ve got designs that use new technic parts and I can’t document them until I create the new parts. This is a new adventure to me.

Book sales are supressed right now, but I know that your book will be an excellent Christmas gift LDraw fans. I wish you the best of luck with sales. I recommend the book highly.

-Tim

Kevin