 Announcements / 2251
  Virtual LEGO now available!

Hey everyone! Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there already). (...) (21 years ago, 9-Oct-03, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX) !!

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Yes, I got my copy yesterday and spent a while going through it last night. I love the color and coord. references inside the front and back cover! Very nice work Tim, Steve, and Ahui! BEGIN BIP PLUG Once you get your feet under you for (...) (21 years ago, 9-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Hi Tim! (...) Congratulations! (...) It's also availible in Sweden via Bokus: (URL) SEK = $57 US. (...) Sounds like a book I will get, not just yet since the price is a little high here in Sweden. Perhaps I can get it via Amazon UK (cheaper (...) (21 years ago, 9-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) :-( (...) Ja, till det priset tvekar jag inte. Skriv upp mig! Frågan är väl hur lång leveranstid det blir... (Maila mig ett bankkontonummer om du behöver pengar direkt) -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 9-Oct-03, to lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

Cool! Tim, how much of the proceeds goes to support Ldraw.org? Not that it matters, really, I'll buy one anyway. Just curious. James Wilson Dallas, TX (21 years ago, 9-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Yes, Tim. I'm curious about the answer to this question also since the book seems so intametly tied with the web site and visa versa. As the person who co-authored *the first* LDraw Compatible Software book, I'd love to have equal time on the (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Acually, the only real mention of Tim, Steve, and Ahui's book is in the books section. Your book is also listed there and given the same prominance. I do see your point though. -Orion (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Hi James - Good question. Right now we're working on the bylaws drafts for LDraw.org (they're coming along quite nicely) and within them will include the proper accounting mechanism for this. Its definitely a part of the plan to earmark some (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Enligt Amazon för två (2) ex.; Standard International Shipping (averages 11-18 days) $13.47 Expedited International Shipping (averages 5-10 business days) $18.47 Priority International Courier averages 2-4 days $41.97 Med tanke på att det bara (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Now that the title bar says "LDraw.org :: The Central Site for LDraw Family of LEGO CAD Software" you are correct. I'm grateful that got changed. (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Tim, Steve and Ahui, Congratulations on your new book! I scanned through the signed copy Tim gave me, thanks Tim. I am quite impressed. I did a quick scan of the LPub and LSynth sections and you represent them very well. I've been studying the (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Beställt, typ 282,-/bok inkl. frakt. /Tobbe (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Wow. Thanks, Kevin. This praise means a tremendous amount to me coming from you, friend and co-author of the first book devoted exclusively to LDraw tools. I'm delighted to be hearing so many good reports on the book, but this one is (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Thanks, Jake! Everyone here should know Jake spent hours going over rough edits of some of the chapters in this book with me. I have to partially credit him with helping me form the ideas and structure in it. You da man! (...) Go to BIP. There (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Thanks Tobbe! Also thanks for digging up the info for Swedish readers to purchase it. -Tim (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Ajdå! Läste detta för sent. Jag har precis beställt från Amazon.com: "Virtual Lego: The Official LDraw.org Guide To LDraw Tools for Windows" Tim Courtney;Paperback; $27.97 "LEGO Software Power Tools, With LDraw, MLCad, and LPub" Kevin (...) (21 years ago, 10-Oct-03, to lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

Hi Tim, Congrats to all the co-authors on the long-awaited completion. As you can imagine, I have a highly intense "professional" desire to read this book 8?) It sure sounds intriguing. I'll definitely let you know my impressions. Keep up the good (...) (21 years ago, 11-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Hey, you're welcome! AFAIK we Swedes have now ordered three copies, not bad considering we're but a handful of AFOL's! /Tobbe (21 years ago, 11-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, lugnet.loc.se)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

Mine, pre-ordered ages ago, arrived from amazon.co.uk today! I now have both Ldraw books, but it's too early for me to draw comparisons. I left it on the table today when my father-in-law visited, and after browsing through it for 1/2 hour or so he (...) (21 years ago, 11-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

I am currently reading Virtual LEGO amd it is excelent!! I highly recommend it. Lester Witter (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

Got mine in the mail today, and I am going throught it slowly. All looks pretty cool, and I keep finding things that I didn't know existed. I also can't weait to try rendering things with POVray, et al. I wanted to do that for a long time, but it (...) (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

Hi Alfred - (...) Great! I hope the book helps you learn the POV techniques. Ahui penned those chapters, and I edited them. I learned most of what I know about POV from going through his work! He did a great job with it. (...) Ahui also handled the (...) (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

snip (...) Here is a rundown of what versions are on the CD-ROM in the Virtual LEGO book. LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03) MLCad 3.00 LDView (note 1) L3P latest version L3PAO 1.3.8 POV-Ray 3.1 (note 2) MegaPov 0.7 (note (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) I just ordered it through the Amazon.com link on the lugnet.books page - only $27.97, and free shipping, too! I'm really looking forward to getting this book, I know I've only scratched the surface of what the LDraw family of tools can do... (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Where can this be found? The latest I can see on ldraw.org is 2003-02 (from August 1). Or was that a typo? Thanks. --Travis (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) a) On the Virtual LEGO CD-ROM book and b) On the LDraw.org webiste (BUT NOT JUST YET) as when they did the transfer from the old LDraw server to the new and redsiegned the site we forgot to update the parts updat page. So I'm not sure how much (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) I believe Orion is working out getting this posted. Alternatively, you can visit: (URL) All of the old site files are under /OLD/ -Tim (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Umm... There is no 2003-03, the most current is 2003-02 -Orion (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) I'm just curious - what are the significant differences, if any, between this book and the Power Tools book? Everyone has differnt requirements and I just want to know which one best suits my needs. I'm interested in getting one of these (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Orion you are correct. After looking at my notes and reviewing my files, I did make a type-o! The latest update IS 2003-02. My notes had 2003-03 becuase at the time that is what we have estimated would be ready for the book release. =) That (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Allister - I've gone through about 1/3 of Powertools, and I'd say the material is organized a bit differently. Virtual LEGO devotes an entire chapter to parts authoring, and from what I've heard, it goes into greater depth with building (...) (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) I almost forgot, on the (US) Amazon page for Virtual LEGO, you can buy the two books together for a discount: (URL). Not sure if this offer is good for Australia. -Tim (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

Thanks for the info! I do appreciate it. :) -Alfred (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Actually, this isn't true, and is a very good example of deceptive advertising on Amazon's part. Add up Amazon's price for the two books individually, and you get the same price they list there. The "discount" is off the standard list price, (...) (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Heh, I was fooled. : Well, at least I saved one shipping & handling fee... /Tore (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Not that I want to rub salt in it or anything, but that's not entierly true either. Bying just one book has a s&h fee of $8.98 while bying a combo is $13.49 (to Sweden). You did save $4.47 though :) Not to mention how much cheaper it got *not* (...) (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

I bought a copy yesterday at LegoWorld Zwolle. The price was only 31 Euro's instead of 40 USD + shipping costs. Actually they were all sold out and a new delivery was a bit delayed, but Jaco was kind enough to give me his copy ;-) On my way home by (...) (21 years ago, 21-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Thanks, Neils! Glad you enjoy the book so far! I wish I could have been in Zwolle with you all. :-\ But, there's always next year! -Tim (21 years ago, 21-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Well, based on that, I think Virtual Lego is the one for me. I checked availability here in Australia at the local book shop today. There is one copy in the whole of Australia, and it's SEVENTY NINE DOLLARS!! (about US$55). I ended up ordering (...) (21 years ago, 22-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) I need to get off my butt and pass along some info so the Australian clubs can bulk order them. Though as I recall, I'm waiting for something to be finalized from the publisher - I'll check up on that. The Australian distributor ordered very (...) (21 years ago, 24-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) Ordering direct from No Starch was fairly painless (so far ;) and it should be here in a week or so according to the email I recieved late last week. I'll be taking it along to the next BUGs meeting if it arrives in time, so there may be an (...) (21 years ago, 27-Oct-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Virtual LEGO now available!

(...) I ordered mine from No Starch and it arrived within 7 days and cost around $50 Aus. My opinion of the book? Excellent. I originally downloaded the all in one installer and could not get some parts of it to work, with the chapter on software (...) (20 years ago, 17-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, FTX)