 Announcements / 2251

Subject:
Virtual LEGO now available!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:09:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hey everyone! Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there already).

Its also available immediately from the publisher, No Starch Press, at http://www.nostarch.com/vlego.htm.

This book is a lenghty tutorial on how to use the LDraw suite of tools to create your own virtual LEGO models on your computer, render photo-realistic scenes, and output your own custom building instructions! We’ve packed it with reference material and practical insight to help you as you learn. The CD-ROM comes with an installer that will configure the software automatically for you - you don’t have to jump through hoops a la LDraw.org installation pages to get started :-)

So far, its gotten great reviews from people who have commented to us on it (Orion, Jake, Eric S...), so that makes us happy. :-) I hope the book is informative and educational.

Enjoy!

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:09:23 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney wrote:
Hey everyone!
Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve
Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from
Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there
already).

Yes, I got my copy yesterday and spent a while going through it last night. I
love the color and coord. references inside the front and back cover! Very nice
work Tim, Steve, and Ahui!

BEGIN BIP PLUG

Once you get your feet under you for building virtual models, make sure to post
the instructions and/or .dat file links on the Building Instructions Portal so
you can show off to the world.

And of course, to win free stuff!

/END BIP PLUG

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:37:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney wrote:
Hey everyone!
Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve
Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from
Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there
already).

Yes, I got my copy yesterday and spent a while going through it last night. I
love the color and coord. references inside the front and back cover! Very nice
work Tim, Steve, and Ahui!

Thanks, Jake! Everyone here should know Jake spent hours going over rough edits
of some of the chapters in this book with me. I have to partially credit him
with helping me form the ideas and structure in it. You da man!

BEGIN BIP PLUG

Once you get your feet under you for building virtual models, make sure to post
the instructions and/or .dat file links on the Building Instructions Portal so
you can show off to the world.

And of course, to win free stuff!

/END BIP PLUG

Go to BIP. There is no try [1]. Go.

-Tim

[1] but it might help to have the URL:
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish, lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:32:33 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney wrote:
Hey everyone!

Hi Tim!

Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve
Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from
Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there
already).

Congratulations!

Its also available immediately from the publisher, <http://www.nostarch.com
No Starch Press>, at <http://www.nostarch.com/vlego.htm>.

<http://www.nostarch.com/vlego.htm
<http://www.nostarch.com/images/vlego_cov.jpg>>

It's also availible in Sweden via Bokus:
http://www.bokus.com/cgi-bin/more_book_info.cgi?ISBN=1886411948

434 SEK = $57 US.

This book is a lenghty tutorial on how to use the LDraw suite of tools to
create your own virtual LEGO models on your computer, render photo-realistic
scenes, and output your own custom building instructions! We've packed it
with reference material and practical insight to help you as you learn. The
CD-ROM comes with an installer that will configure the software automatically
for you - you don't have to jump through hoops a la LDraw.org installation
pages to get started :-)

Sounds like a book I will get, not just yet since the price is a little high
here in Sweden. Perhaps I can get it via Amazon UK (cheaper shipping) for less.
Nope, that would be $48 plus shipping so it's about the same :(

Aha! I can get it for $37 from amazon.com including shipping! That's 281 SEK for
the Swedish readers.

Är det någon som blir med på ett samköp till SweLUG#5?

So far, its gotten great reviews from people who have commented to us on it
(Orion, Jake, Eric S...), so that makes us happy. :-) I hope the book is
informative and educational.

I'm sure it is!

Once again, congratulations!

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
It's also availible in Sweden via Bokus:
http://www.bokus.com/cgi-bin/more_book_info.cgi?ISBN=1886411948

434 SEK = $57 US.

:-(

Aha! I can get it for $37 from amazon.com including shipping! That's
281 SEK for the Swedish readers.

Är det någon som blir med på ett samköp till SweLUG#5?

Ja, till det priset tvekar jag inte. Skriv upp mig! Frågan är väl hur lång
leveranstid det blir...

(Maila mig ett bankkontonummer om du behöver pengar direkt)

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!