 Year / 2001 / 708
707  |  709
Subject:
New Dinosaurs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Matt Brooks writes:
The plane and tree set looks really cool since it seems like a good
realistic plane and a tall brown tree composed of bricks. Also I want to get
my hands on the Spinosaurus. The raptors and pteranodon don't appeal to me
as much but I like that Lego is encouraging kids to *build* dinosaurs even
as they introduce all these specialized dino-parts. The quonset hut-like
building doesn't look too interesting. It is mainly grey and green bricks
with a couple of fronds. And I couldn't care less about the cameramen and
moviemaker aspect of the sets.

I don't particularly like those new dinosaurs. The Spinosaur looks cool,
but I think the Raptors and the "new" Pteranadon look stupid. I liked
the Dino Island Dinosaurs. Maybe it's just me, but the pre-formed
animals seem more real to me. The new dinos in the Movie maker set look
like just what they're supposed to be-movie props. Ick.

The hut is cute. The tree looks interesting (I'm always interested in
new styles of tree building) but correct me if I'm wrong-Isn't it black?

My 2 cents.

Matt

Actually we should love those new Raptors and the Pteranodon. I, too, think
that they don't look as "cool" as the Spinosaur, but I think it's a great
approach of TLC not to make more SPUDs, but add some smaller special parts
and build up the rest of normal Lego bricks.
Of course they don't look smooth and very realistic, but hey! - An octagonal
tree is not that realistic, either.
The Movie-Maker T-Rex head does look *pretty* bricky, but if you like, the
next day you can turn it into an alligator head - or into a green power-boat
or whatever.
Wanna see you do that with the Dino Island T-Rex.

I'm not sure yet what to say about the Spionsaurus. At first sight it looked
very unlego-ish to me. But after I had a closer look, I might change my mind:

The front and the rear part of the torso look like it's two identical parts,
which you can put arms or legs (probably in different sizes) and a neck or a
tail piece on.

That's modular, but still not Lego.

But, those torso-parts are held together by - 2 good old 2x2x1-45°slopes
with some printing, so that spine thing also should have studholes at the
base. And on the "belly" you can see the same "carvings" you have at the
2x3x1-22,5° inverse slope. So I guess you can attach bricks there, too.

So, there's still some bricks and studs in there. Still, as a brick-fan, I
like the Raptors and the Pteranodon better. They are what Lego is about.
Of course, this is only MHO.

What do the others think?

-Norman