 Trains / Train Organizations / 1399
Re: Pic: New Green Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:02:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Two points...

1) a minor point of information:

In lugnet.trains.org, John Kelly III writes:
In the same vein, we have decided to build to a
playtheme mentality instead of a mini-land mentality

Can you elaborate on what playtheme vs. miniland is? Thanks.

...snip...

Mostly a way to distinguish between the difference in scale and thought
between what's in a Lego mini-land display and a play theme display that
they used for toy fairs and that you usually see in toys 'r' us type displays.

In general, mini-land is larger and with more emphasis on the model itself;
correctly proportioned and built to a specific scale.  If you ever take a
look at a mini-land you'll notice that there are no mini-figures and the
buildings are built a little to big for minis.  Most of that is because of
how horribly mini-figures approximate real people.

In general, a play theme mentality is more "silly" with less emphasis on
exacting proportions and more on a sense of telling a story through the
interaction of the mini-figures.  When we built these type of themes in the
Model shop in Enfield, there were a few rules about the interaction.  Mostly
they were a loose set of interpretations about the "whimsical" style of the
theme.  The only real hard and fast rule is that no mini figure was allowed
to be alone.  They all had to be in an interaction with another figure or
device.

I'm not sure that helps.  If not, ask me again and I'll try again to clarify.

I'm glad that others are finding this helpful, as I would normally rather
keep the dirty laundry to face to face meetings where less is inferred and
feelings are generally less hurt.  <grin>  Knowing that it is useful outside
of our group is good to hear.

-John3