 Trains / Train Organizations / 1393
Re: Pic: New Green Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:37:05 GMT

Scott Holcomb wrote:

With all due respect to all parties involved, I don't understand what is
going on here.

Hey Scott-

Let me just jump in here and say that the GMLTC is unique in a few ways.  First,
since we are solid modules of bricks, everything must have an exact place, and
usually that will not change for the life of the layout.  The GFLTC and other
LTCs are much more flexible in terms of what can and can't be included on a
layout.

Second, they are all Conan's bricks!  So whatever he says pretty much goes, and
rightly so.  As an aside, contrary to what folk might think, the decision for
the GMLTC to go 8 wide was his and had nothing to do with me.  So although I try
and lobby ideas to the group, I realize that opinions differ, etc, and don't get
too worked up about it.  We at the GMLTC like to kid around a lot, so it's all
in fun-- think wooden rods (inside joke;-) (sorry, Rob:-)

-John

In our club (GFLTC) we have created an environment that is
malleable enough to accommodate anyone’s ideas and creations. This is not
work, this is play. Play is supposed to be fun and unencumbered, not full of
rules and guidelines. One of the most amazing things about Legos are their
ability to allow the individual to build what is seen when he/she closes
their eyes. Not something that follows a reconfigured view of what is right
and wrong. I would never imaging even entertaining the thought of telling or
suggesting that one of our members not be able to do something he wanted to
do. On the contrary, we suggest that members color outside the lines so to
speak and make the most impressive and interesting things they can. The only
rules we have are for the placement of track. When you show up with your
modular section it needs to be able to match up with the track to the next
persons section. That’s it. Otherwise the sky is the limit. It must be
working too since we just recently won best of show up against nothing but
model railroad clubs, sponsored by a local store that doesn't even sell Lego.

Once again, I would not presume to say that anyone do as we do. I would just
say to remember why we do this...to have fun. One of the saddest things here
in Florida is some of the Model Railroad clubs are always complaining and
griping at each other over their displays and especially ours. Apparently
they don't understand how or why we have so much fun at every show.
hmmmm...I think I know.