 Trains / Train Organizations / 1394
Re: Pic: New Green Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:56:49 GMT

John Neal makes this same point in another post as well.

The GMLTC layout is different from most others in that Conan has enough
bricks to build the whole 16-module section with his own bricks.  It's less
like other layouts where people each bring their own section with their own
bricks and combine them.  The GMLTC has a unified theme, as it's a unified
layout.  It's more comparable if you build the mech with shoulders at a 1:1
scale with yours and I built the legs with a 1:1 scale with my cat.
Obviously the two parts would not mesh very well together no matter how
creative and wonderful the two seperate parts are.

If we were a club where everyone brought their own sections, I don't think
there would be any argument.

-john 3

In lugnet.trains.org, Eric Sophie writes:
Whoa, Gentleman may I make a freindly Observation, - Please, just 'cause I
stumbled onto this thread. Well, you Train guys are a tight lot. Meaning, a
great deal of thought goes into a given layout as a whole. Now that's not to
say that others building in diferent themes don't do the same. But with
Trains, we all know it's somthing special. I guess that comes from peoples
memories of Huge Fantastic Model Train Displays.

Now, if I had worked on my own creation and I was trying to participate in a
like minded event and was refused, advised or otherwise, I'd feel bad. I do
See both Sides. Hey, I built a Robotic 6 foot Praying Mantis. My other
Robots are 3 feet tall. The Mechanical Monstrocity I'm building has
Shoulders as wide as mine! So, If I wanted to set up a display with some
fellow Mech Brothers and they said My stuff was'nt on Par as far as size or
layout or whatever, I'd be like: !!HA!! I'm gonna build it for ME anyway.

More Importanly Train Folk (loose Term) have a pretty well defined set of
Scales. 6 wide - 8 wide and other Train Lingo...and the GMLTC has the right
to protect it's plan, but to see anyone say it does'nt "fit in" I gotta say
something cause I REALLY like the buildings.

On the Other hand, maybe theres a difference between bringing a creation as
an offering for a display or working within some frame of reference. or
Perhaps the GMLTC could consider having these "Stately" buildings as some
sort of Capital builing or Civic center, town hall or what have you, hate to
say it but with some mods you know it could blend in, (not that I would
Necc. do mods on my stuff, I ain't changing my Robots for Nobody, They are
what they are)

.....and You gotta work with the GMLTC you build great structures, if they
could assign you something you could be great at like a Rail Terminal
buiding, Bank or somthing...I don't know.....

My Lofty Sage Advice:

If a builder follows his/her calling there should always be a place for them
with us. Never put a Limit or boundery on what anybody thinks is normal in
building. Be determined. Be accepting. Be compromising. And other Glactic
Knowledge.

I don't know all the issues, so if I'm off a little please excuse me.

Good Luck,thank-you

Eric "Legomaster" Sophie

www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Legomaster

In lugnet.trains.org, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:
But whether or not my structures end up as a part of the layout or not
isn't my concern.  They all will fit in nicely on my home layout:-)

??
Why the talk, even in jest, of starting letter writing campaigns, etc., then??
++Lar

Because he has been shot down every time he approaches the GMLTC with a new
building he has created.  He figures that if he can get enough people to
voice an opinion (preferably *his* opinion!) that the GMLTC will suddenly
cave in and welcome anything he builds.

Too bad it won't happen...  As J-3 said, we have told John Neal time and
time again that his buildings have to fit into the GMLTC layout if he
expects us to use them.  We have tried everything short of beating it into
his skull with a baseball bat (1), but he doesn't seem to grasp the concept
that the layout has to work as a whole - not just a mis-matched collection
of things.  Conan has layed out a city plan that we can all work with,
except for John Neal.  He thinks that we should change the plan of the city
to accomodate anything he builds.

John Neal, your buildings are quite lovely.  The just don't fit in with the
GMLTC layout as it is currently planned.  If you want to make a public
debate about this, that's fine - but the opinion of the GMLTC isn't going to
change.  Work within the system!  Reduce the 'footprint' of your buildings,
and they will look fantastic in our town!

And as a disclaimer, I just completed my first building for the GMLTC
layout.  Nice compact footprint (12 x 28 studs, plus a sidewalk on two
sides), but it's too tall according to our guidelines.  So, I'll either have
to remove one floor, or convince the rest of the GMLTC that the height is
workable.  We'll see what happens at our next weekly meeting.

John1, GMLTC

(1) a reference to The Ramones classic "Beat on the Brat", in honor of the
passing of Joey Ramone yesterday.  It's a sad day for us old punk rockers...