 Trains / Train Organizations / 1382
Re: Pic: New Green Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:04:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:

Lar pontificated:

The crux of this argument turns on what the basic purpose of the
layout is...

is it a scene in its own right and the trains are secondary (which, if
you'll recall, is how some train clubs view things, they are primarily town
layouts that happen to have trains... WAMALTC and MICLTC, for example, seem
to fit this)?

Or is the layout, as famous pioneering model railroader Frank Ellison said,
"a stage that serves as backdrop to showcase the primary actors,
the trains"?

Perhaps one could argue that it's all about *LEGO*.  When push comes
to shove, we at the GMLTC don't push *trains* necessarily, but the
concept of *LEGO*-- creativity, etc.  Most of us were fans of the brick
first.  So whether dad is inspired by a prototypically designed diesel,
or Bobby is inspired by the sheer magnitude of our layout, the bottom
line is that it's about inspiring minds young and old through the
medium of LEGO bricks.

Right, point taken. I neglected that perspective, but it is indeed the one
that most of us come from (and rightly so(1))... LEGO hobbyists who happen
to do things that train shows attendees enjoy, rather than model railroaders
who happen to work in this medium.

But I can be forgiven for overlooking it since you were cloaking yourself in
the MR cloth. :-)

1 - as we've discussed before on and off line. Our focus is to do what we
like and that it is beneficial to whomever (a show company, the NMRA, etc,
etc) is incidental. Nice, convenient, exploitable, yes, but incidental.

++Lar