 Trains / Train Organizations / 1398
Re: Pic: New Green Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:40:47 GMT

Two points...

1) a minor point of information:

In lugnet.trains.org, John Kelly III writes:
In the same vein, we have decided to build to a
playtheme mentality instead of a mini-land mentality

Can you elaborate on what playtheme vs. miniland is? Thanks.

2) a major point of philosophy

It was not my intent in working this thread a bit to

- stir up intra GMLTC disharmony. (what we see is mostly fun but there is a
bit of not quite fun showing too. To the extent that I brought that out, I
apologise)
- say anything is "right" or "wrong". Stuff just is what it is.

What WAS my intent (and this gets at the poster  from GFLTC who said "this
doesn't matter to us, it's just fun") was to explore some of the parameters
and decisions and style points... WITHOUT casting aspersions on any
decisions that anyone has taken or might take in the future.

The whole idea is to have fun.

So why DID I bring it up? Because this particular group is about .org...
that is... it's about organizational dynamics, at least in part.  I get to
observe dynamics at various groups more than some other people do, for which
I count myself lucky. I find organizational dynamics fascinating. LUGNET
dynamics, club dynamics, etc. etc.

Even in a club that tries very hard to be unstructured, structure creeps in.
GMLTC has module standards that affect buildings. GFLTC has module standards
that affect how different modules fit together. Both clubs had a decision
process for how they arrived at that set of parameters. Formal or informal,
structured or unstructured, that process arose and was there.

My message to new clubs is just this. Draw from that, explore what other
clubs did and why.

Realise that even if you want to be informal, stuff happens and you may need
to deal with it. Just saying that you want to have fun helps. Keep it in the
back of your mind, but sometimes you will have to deal with organizational
issues anyway. While you're dealing, keep repeating to yourself, we want to
have fun, but don't refuse to deal.

Realise that even if you want to be free of standards, standards arise and
evolve. Just saying that you don't care about standards helps, but "if you
choose not to decide you still have made a choice". If you don't care about
standards, SAY IT and stick to it... if you can.

Nobody likes to think about deeper meaning or group dynamics or structure or
standards or any of that stuff to the exclusion of playing... But maybe
thinking about it in advance may help. Or not. It's your choice as a group.

If anyone thinks I am all wet they are free to say so at this point. I found
this discussion constructive and useful.

++Lar