 Trains / 7119
Re: Container Width (was Re: New MOC: Cargo Sprinter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:54:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Containers are not as wide as trains!  Sure, they are close, but with trains
being 10' wide, represented as 6 studs, then an 8' wide container should be
4.8 studs wide.  If you round it to the nearest stud, then it would be 5
wide by 12long for an HCL and 5 x 24for an FCL.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but it should be 5x12 for a TEU.  TEU
is the base unit for containers, ISO standards are 8'6" (high) x8'(wide) by
20'(long) (if I have it wrong, it is the high and wide mixed up), and
everything is based on those lengths.  40' containers are non standard, but
easy to accomidate, and the longer ones (up to 53' long) are most def. odd
size...

It's all based on the WP&Y railway...they were the first, and that's roughly
the maximum size they could handle (3' gauge railway).

Given that Lego scale trains are likely broad gauge (they are wider than a
MF...therefore I would say they scale to being broad gauge, and if you use 1
stud=1 foot, then they are most def. broad gauge) the containers should sit
inside a 18 wide (or less) car :)

It all depends on what you decide to scale off of, knowing that MF scale is
flexible.  I like 4 wide containers, not because they are realistic, but
because they work well with everything else (they are a compromise, but a
workable one to my mind)

James