 Trains / 7125
Re: Container Width (was Re: New MOC: Cargo Sprinter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:10:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Containers are not as wide as trains!  Sure, they are close, but with trains
being 10' wide, represented as 6 studs, then an 8' wide container should be
4.8 studs wide.  If you round it to the nearest stud, then it would be 5
wide by 12long for an HCL and 5 x 24for an FCL.

Containers are not as wide as trains and never should be.

Agreed. However the 4 wides just look funny. They're not even tall enough for
a minifig to stand up in, and we know how short those guys are. :-)

Good one :-)   I agree the four wides look too small, but the six wides look
too big.  I suspect that on an eight wide car, the six wides would look right,
but the photos I saw of some of the ambassador cars with six on six just
didn't work IMO.

Five wide would be the way to go yes, but is it practical?  The Milton
customer side of me says "Yeah Five", while the builder side of me says
"Hmmmm, I wonder".  A five wide could be placed on a standard
container car meant for four, but would slide half a stud to the outside
of the corners.  I run _Express_ cargo.  :-)

Would people accept 5 wide containers? I am working on the
productificationdesign of my articulated double stack and would be
interested in buyer's opinions...

productificationdesign?  ;-)

SRC