 Trains / 7098
Re: Container Width (was Re: New MOC: Cargo Sprinter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Containers are not as wide as trains!  Sure, they are close, but with trains
being 10' wide, represented as 6 studs, then an 8' wide container should be
4.8 studs wide.  If you round it to the nearest stud, then it would be 5
wide by 12long for an HCL and 5 x 24for an FCL.

If you round it to the nearest even stud length, then it would be 4 studs
wide.

Using 8 wide trains, containers should be 6.4 studs wide, which rounds to 6
wide x 16 long for an HCL and 32 long for an FCL.  If you choose to give
container proportions a priority over absolute scale, then 6x15 and 6x30
will work.

Containers are not as wide as trains and never should be.

Agreed. However the 4 wides just look funny. They're not even tall enough for
a minifig to stand up in, and we know how short those guys are. :-)

I'll probably just lump it, but I'll continue to whinge (an OZ word!) about it
nonetheless.

Would people accept 5 wide containers? I am working on the productification-
design of my articulated double stack and would be interested in buyer's
opinions, would buyers prefer 4 wide (retaining compatability with TLC), 5
wide (proportioned about right, as Mike says) or 6 wide (a bit TOO wide but
looks good) on a 6 wide car (the car width of 6 or so is not really
negotiable, my line is going to be all 6 wide based)

++Lar