 Trains / 7144
Re: Container Width (was Re: New MOC: Cargo Sprinter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:22:53 GMT

James Powell <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Containers are not as wide as trains!  Sure, they are close, but with • trains
being 10' wide, represented as 6 studs, then an 8' wide container should • be
4.8 studs wide.  If you round it to the nearest stud, then it would be 5
wide by 12long for an HCL and 5 x 24for an FCL.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but it should be 5x12 for a TEU. • TEU
is the base unit for containers, ISO standards are 8'6" (high) x8'(wide) • by
20'(long) (if I have it wrong, it is the high and wide mixed up), and
everything is based on those lengths.  40' containers are non standard, • but
easy to accomidate, and the longer ones (up to 53' long) are most def. odd
size...

8' wide and 8'6" high is correct.  I suppose that the industry you are in
would determine what is standard.  We ship about 30-40 containers per year
and almost all of them ar 40' with the few (3-5) remaining being 20'.  I
have always thought of the 40' as the standard and in our industry, it is.

It's all based on the WP&Y railway...they were the first, and that's • roughly
the maximum size they could handle (3' gauge railway).

I was under the impression that the size is based on the maximum allowed for
vehicle codes.  Perhaps vehicle code is based on old WP&Y numbers.  I can
see another urban legend being born here...

Given that Lego scale trains are likely broad gauge (they are wider than a
MF...therefore I would say they scale to being broad gauge, and if you use • 1
stud=1 foot, then they are most def. broad gauge) the containers should • sit
inside a 18 wide (or less) car :)

Not even John Neal is building that wide!

Mike Poindexter