 Trains / 7111
Re: Container Width (was Re: New MOC: Cargo Sprinter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:12:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Containers are not as wide as trains!  Sure, they are close, but with trains
being 10' wide, represented as 6 studs, then an 8' wide container should be
4.8 studs wide.  If you round it to the nearest stud, then it would be 5
wide by 12long for an HCL and 5 x 24for an FCL.

If you round it to the nearest even stud length, then it would be 4 studs
wide.

Using 8 wide trains, containers should be 6.4 studs wide, which rounds to 6
wide x 16 long for an HCL and 32 long for an FCL.  If you choose to give
container proportions a priority over absolute scale, then 6x15 and 6x30
will work.

Containers are not as wide as trains and never should be.

Agreed. However the 4 wides just look funny. They're not even tall enough for
a minifig to stand up in, and we know how short those guys are. :-)

I'll probably just lump it, but I'll continue to whinge (an OZ word!) about it
nonetheless.

Would people accept 5 wide containers? I am working on the productification-
design of my articulated double stack and would be interested in buyer's
opinions, would buyers prefer 4 wide (retaining compatability with TLC), 5
wide (proportioned about right, as Mike says) or 6 wide (a bit TOO wide but
looks good) on a 6 wide car (the car width of 6 or so is not really
negotiable, my line is going to be all 6 wide based)

I personally am planning on going 6 wide for containers. I guess 5 wide would
be a possibility, I really won't be having doors in my containers (the windows
w/shutters in the old Maersk truck would be neat to get, and with availability
of those, I would definitely go 6 wide, those 1x3xZ doors could also be used
in 6 wide).

I think an interesting design point would be to make the wider containers sit
on the same base, so people could use either container. You might be able to
plan your containers so that they could be made 4 wide, possibly with the
requirement that the buyer supply some basic bricks depending on if your
containers are anything fancier than a rectangular block of bricks. 5 wide
containers of course would require some 1x2 tiles w/center stud.

Frank