 Trains / 7158
Re: Container Width (was Re: New MOC: Cargo Sprinter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:45:44 GMT

8' wide and 8'6" high is correct.  I suppose that the industry you are in
would determine what is standard.  We ship about 30-40 containers per year
and almost all of them ar 40' with the few (3-5) remaining being 20'.  I
have always thought of the 40' as the standard and in our industry, it is.

It's the ISO standard, when you see (if you ever have) a container ship
listing, it will be for xyz TEU- for example, ASL Sanderling (that cruises
between here and somewhere else, Halifax I think) has roughtly 5x8x4.5x2=360
TEU (which is quite small by modern standards, however all the containers are
deck cargo...)  However, she sailed with the twenty foot units on the aft deck,
and 40's or 48's forward of the accomidation block (I think only 4 stacks, not
100% positive, could be 5.5 rather than 4.5)

I was under the impression that the size is based on the maximum allowed for
vehicle codes.  Perhaps vehicle code is based on old WP&Y numbers.  I can
see another urban legend being born here...

The original containers were built for/by the White Pass& Yukon railway, and I
believe they settled on 8' by 8' by 20' for size reasons, as well as weight
(the primary cargo was zinc concentrate...rather dense stuff!)-in other words,
the heaviest box of the stuff they could load was likely 4x8x20 at a time in
Skagway, Alaska.  I don't have much on WP&Y railway...I'm sure there is a book
on the topic, but I doubt I could get a copy in this province on loan!

They set the standards, and I think everyone else kind of followed along when
they saw how easy the transshipment was in (??? Seattle, I think)...it started
in the late 50's-early 60's.

James