 Trains / 5429
Re: Stupid question about steam engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:06:58 GMT

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

Ok don't laugh me out of the group, but I have a very basic question
about old steam engines. I don't understand the numbers for the wheel
layouts. I thought I did, but after reading a book on train history this
evening I'm even more confused than before. What do the series of three
number mean when referencing the drive wheel layout of steam engines
(i.e. 0-4-0,4-4-0,2-6-0,4-6-2 etc.)?

Thanks

jt

On a related topic, which steam engine (out of all the ones ever made) had
the most number of driving wheels? the most total # of wheels?