 Trains / 5459
Re: Stupid question about steam engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:15:30 GMT

...who was it who invented the steam engine and the railway system?....who
was it who made the fastest
_steam engine_
in the world (record in 1938 and yet to be broken)?

Wellllll....now, my handy dandy books show Mallard at 126 MPH and...

In 1906 a steam powered car built by the Stanley brothers of Newtown,
Massachusetts, and driven by Fred Marriott, set a new world land speed record
of _127.66 mph_ at Ormond Beach (now called Daytona Beach), Florida

It was only bettered in when Bob Barber, another American, raised the record
to 145.607 MPH in a modern steam turbine car.

So, regardless of if you call a turbine a engine, a car has the steam speed
record rather than a railway engine.

Admirers?  Yeah, we are a regular Mutual Adoration Society.  Please, you are
still sore over the back to back losses to us in the American Revolution and
the war of 1812.

Someone must not have told that to us _Canadians_, who fought the Yankee's to a
standstill in the War of 1812...and were still English.  All the War of 1812
was was a stupid extension of some of the European wars.

James P