 Trains / 5421
Re: Stupid question about steam engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 03:20:15 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.trains, James J. Trobaugh writes:
Ok don't laugh me out of the group, but I have a very basic question
about old steam engines. I don't understand the numbers for the wheel
layouts. I thought I did, but after reading a book on train history this
evening I'm even more confused than before. What do the series of three
number mean when referencing the drive wheel layout of steam engines
(i.e. 0-4-0,4-4-0,2-6-0,4-6-2 etc.)?

The first number is the number of wheels in the lead truck (ahead of the large
wheels driven by the rods), divide by two for the number of wheels on one
side. The 2nd number is the number of driven wheels, and the 3rd number is the
number of wheels in the trailing truck. When you see a 4 number sequence (like
4-6-6-4), the engine has two sets of driven wheels (and there are a small
number of engines with three sets of driven wheels).

Frank