 Trains / 5426
Re: Stupid question about steam engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:18:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, James J. Trobaugh writes:
Ok don't laugh me out of the group, but I have a very basic question
about old steam engines. I don't understand the numbers for the wheel
layouts. I thought I did, but after reading a book on train history this
evening I'm even more confused than before. What do the series of three
number mean when referencing the drive wheel layout of steam engines
(i.e. 0-4-0,4-4-0,2-6-0,4-6-2 etc.)?

This is the White (SP) system in action.  First number is the # of wheels in
the leading truck (unpowered) 2nd # is the # of powered wheels, 3rd # is
unpowered trailing wheels.  All on Loco.

Of course, those are relatively easy engines, respectively 0-4-0 switcher,
American, Mogul, Pacific.

to see a photo of my model pacific, look at:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2049/livesteam.html
and it is the 3rd photo (the green loco).

Your typical North American (GM/GE) diesel engine is either a 0-4-4-0 or a
0-6-6-0 (if built prior to about 1990).  Beleve it or not, but the FRA required
all engines to be classified using this system, and so diesels are classed as
though they are a articulated engine.

Some oddball engines:

0-44-0 (Farlie)
4-8-8-4 (Big Boy)
2-6-0-0-6-2 (Garratt)
0-4-4-4-0 (3 Truck Shay)

There is also a European system, which uses the # of -axles- rather than
wheels.

So, if you see a 2-C-1, that is also a pacific.  (just thought I would
compleatly confuse you!)