 Trains / 5473
5472  |  5474
Subject:
Wheel Arrangement (Re: Stupid question about steam engines)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 20:06:18 GMT

I say the DD40AX is a BB-BB.. as it turns out it actually IS a D-D, I believe.
The U50 is a BB-BB in that it uses span bolsters.

You might want to add this to your info page or something:

"For main line diesel and electric locomotives the system whereby the number of
driven axles on a bogie or frame is denoted by a letter (A=1, B=2, C=3 etc.)
and the number of undriven axles is noted by a number is used.  The letter 'o'
after a letter indicates that each axle is individually powered and a + sign
indicates that the bogies are intercoupled.

For shunters and steam locomotives the Whyte notation is used.  The number of
leading wheels are given, followed by the number of driving wheels and then the
trailing wheels.  Suffix 'T' on a steam locomotive indicates a tank locomotive,
and 'PT' a pannier tank loco."

Taken from 'British Railways LOCOMOTIVES & COACHING STOCK 1995' published by
Platform 5.

A shunter is what you call a switcher.  Most British Passenger locos are Bo-Bo
and most freight locomotives are Co-Co.  By this definition the 4551 would be
1-2-B-1 because of where the motor is.  The Metroliner Power Car is a 2-B
although is real life it is likely to be a Bo-Bo using two powered bogies
(trucks).  Hope that clears it up.

Carbon 60