 Trains / 5420
  Stupid question about steam engines

Ok don't laugh me out of the group, but I have a very basic question about old steam engines. I don't understand the numbers for the wheel layouts. I thought I did, but after reading a book on train history this evening I'm even more confused than (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) The first number is the number of wheels in the lead truck (ahead of the large wheels driven by the rods), divide by two for the number of wheels on one side. The 2nd number is the number of driven wheels, and the 3rd number is the number of (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) This is the White (SP) system in action. First number is the # of wheels in the leading truck (unpowered) 2nd # is the # of powered wheels, 3rd # is unpowered trailing wheels. All on Loco. Of course, those are relatively easy engines, (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Acctually I think it's a good question, most books etc. assume you know some jargon already so if you're new to the train-hobby I can imagine it's confusing. <answer snipped> (...) Larry has a page with some RR jargon on it. At the bottom of (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) On a related topic, which steam engine (out of all the ones ever made) had the most number of driving wheels? the most total # of wheels? (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Looking at this web site: (URL) since it doesn't specifically have a category for most driving wheels, may not include the engine with the most driving wheels (though one would expect such an engine to rank in the top 10 by at least one of (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

For steam engines with the most total wheels I think the title might go to some of the Garratt locomotives in Africa and Australia. Some of them had wheel arrangements of 4-8-4+4-8-4 for a total of 32. Only 16 of the wheels were powered however. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

Of course, more wasn't better. More wheels meant less weight per wheel thus protecting rails which couldn't support that much weight. Generally speaking, this is why Euro..er stuff has more wheels per pound than US stuff. So actually, less is (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) It doesn't matter! It is FOA which matters, if you have 100 powered wheels or 2 powered wheels, if you have the same weight above them, you can deliver the same torque to the track to start the train. (FOA=Factor Of Adhesion, Tractive (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) I wasn't referring to power so much as overall weight bearing down upon the rails themselves. So if you had rails on a soft bed, you couldn't utilize engines whose weight wasn't distributed over X amount of drivers/and or unpowered wheels; it (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) some (...) Thanks a lot Matt, As if I needed anymore inspiration. Those Garratts are great! Looks like I am now going to have to build one. I guess I'll pencil it in behind the Jawn Henry. I think I need more parts. Again, Thanks Matt,:) Stacy (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) actually, (...) I'm not I understand why you say less is better. Your point about spreading the weight over more wheels to protect the track is correct. The Garratts are used on narrow guage as well as standard guage track. To run that big an (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) rails (...) wheels; (...) things? (...) for (...) Picking up on what James has written, the uneven power pulses of a traditional steam engine hammer the track - this eventually pushes the rails apart/sinks them. It's quite amazing to witness (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) misteaks) I say the DD40AX is a BB-BB.. as it turns out it actually IS a D-D, I believe. The U50 is a BB-BB in that it uses span bolsters. ++Lar (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Sorry, it's a running joke about American superiority over "Eurotrash"-- it wasn't meant to make sense... -John (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) thus (...) speaking, (...) wasn't (...) Running Joke? EuroTrash? Of course, As a responsible adult I would NEVER entertain the prolification of such a damaging line of conversation...Hmmm... ...who was it who invented the steam engine and the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Your trains are dinky. There isn't much else that needs to be said, really. :-) ++Lar (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

Jonathan Reynolds <scorch@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message news:FsM7IH.An2@lugnet.com... (...) conversation...Hmmm... (...) was (...) to (...) As they no longer make steam engines as the industry standard, it is unlikely to be broken. (...) I (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Wellllll....now, my handy dandy books show Mallard at 126 MPH and... In 1906 a steam powered car built by the Stanley brothers of Newtown, Massachusetts, and driven by Fred Marriott, set a new world land speed record of _127.66 mph_ at Ormond (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Europeans actually use their trains, though :) If there's anything dinky in Europe, it's there trucks. No king-of-the-highway road-hogging 18 wheelers :) --Bram (24 years ago, 7-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Errr...what have I started here? I'll say this in my best US accent "chill out, man" (hope that sounds like the real thing). All meant in jest, maybe us Brits are not the ones with the 'stiff upper lip' after all! Jon (ps British humour is (...) (24 years ago, 7-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

:-) (...) Our Version is called the Reliant Robin Van, and has three (wheels, that is) Jon . (...) (24 years ago, 7-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) I agree. There's really no need to detail in depth the many ways the Brits have messed up the entire world in this group. :-) We can take that up in off-topic.debate or off-topic.fun (depending on your perspective (1) ) Seriously, when I say (...) (24 years ago, 7-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Wheel Arrangement (Re: Stupid question about steam engines)

(...) You might want to add this to your info page or something: "For main line diesel and electric locomotives the system whereby the number of driven axles on a bogie or frame is denoted by a letter (A=1, B=2, C=3 etc.) and the number of undriven (...) (24 years ago, 7-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) have (...) Yes, I'm actually a real live minifig and your big huge trains scare me (too many echos). Jon Ps We call Joe Lucas "The Prince of Darkness" over here! (...) (24 years ago, 7-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Wheel Arrangement (Re: Stupid question about steam engines)

In lugnet.trains, Simon Denscombe writes: To Simon, thanks, I will, when I get a chance. To the extent that I agree with it, anyway. It speaks authoritatively but neglects to mention that what it says is not universally accepted. To everyone. PLEASE (...) (24 years ago, 8-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stupid question about steam engines

(...) Right. I have an MG Midget and I used to have an E-Type Jaguar. So I am well acquainted with the evil that Lucas has perpetrated. Two quickies Q:Why do the British drink warm beer? A:Because they like it? Q:WRONG. It's because they have Lucas (...) (24 years ago, 8-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Wheel Arrangement (Re: Stupid question about steam engines)

(...) says (...) Yep, it's a British book for British people and the standard is accepted completely here. I'm going to LDraw a 'Le Shuttle' Channel Tunnel locomotive one day - it's a Bo-Bo-Bo. Carbon 60 (24 years ago, 8-Apr-00, to lugnet.trains)